Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - Configuring and Troubleshooting SIP Trunks

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
with David Whiteford

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on configuration and troubleshooting Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunks with Cisco expert David Whiteford. David has been a customer support engineer in the Cisco Systems Multiservice  Voice team since March 2009. He has over 20 years of experience in Voice. David has previously performed both software development and  interoperability testing with SIP trunking. He has a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering from Tulane University and currently holds a  CCNA Voice certification.

Remember to use the rating system to let David know if you have received an adequate response.

David  might not be able to  answer each question due to the volume expected  during this event.  Remember that you can continue the conversation on  the Collaboration, Voice and Video discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 11, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

18 Replies 18

I assume you have an existing call manager in place.  So I would recommend setting up a router to act as a CUBE.  This could be an existing router depending on the hardware and whether it has the capacity.  You can have data and voice going through the same links.  For this case, you typically have a firewall or router split the data traffic from the voice traffic and ensure that you have QoS set up for your voice traffic.  It does not make a difference if you use LAN extension vs. MPLS.  With MPLS, just make sure you have enough bandwidth allocated for you voice and data needs and ask to make sure the MPLS provider will provide QoS for the voice traffic.  The set up for SIP trunking varies depending on the provider.  Here is a link to a document for AT&T as an example: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns414/ns728/ns784/798119.html

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I am not able to open the link. Can you send another link that is not partner?

thanks

David,

What are the known limitations of doing media flow-around with CUCM 7.x and CUBE with G729 codec (centralized cube design)?

I have read different posts regarding this design related to hold, resume or moh not working correctly.

Is there a list of caveats posted somewhere?

Also, will CUCM 8.5 (with support of Early Offer) be able to fix any of these limitations.

Thanks,

-Sebastien

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: