Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance with DID numbers and Dial Peers

DamianMartinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

I'm new to Cisco Collaboration and work as Junior in my Department.

I would like to get some assistance for the following:

Our company has purchased 10 DID numbers that I need to setup and configured.

The PSTN provider is presenting 6 digits to our gateway.

now, I have a few questions about this as beginner:

do we have to configure DID numbers in both our gateway and CUCM?

The following pots dial peer is already configured

dial-peer voice 100 pots

translation-profile incoming e1-000-in

destination-pattern 9T

progress_ind setup enable 3

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/1/0:15

So I was thinking of adding the following voip dial peer:

dial-peer voice 105 voip

preference 1

destination-pattern [4-6]...

session target ipv4: Call Manager IP

incoming called-number 85539.

direct-inward-dial

voice-class codec 10

voice-class h323 1

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

Then in call manager I would create the following translation pattern:

855390 --------- 1000

855391 --------- 1001

855392 --------- 1002

855393 --------- 1003

855394 --------- 1004

855395 --------- 1005

855396 --------- 1006

855397 --------- 1007

855398 --------- 1008

855399 --------- 1009

Translation Pattern:8553XX

Called Party Transformation Mask: 1XXX

does the about sound correct? Will it work with that configuration?

Thanks in advance!

1. Additional question, what does the “incoming called-number . “mean in the pots dial peer?

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you configure both the GW and CUCM.

A DID you usually want the SAME number on the device (111 222 3333 outside, phone gets 2223333/2333/12223333/etc as per dial plan), google DID/DOD

If they want to change it as you mention, that's also doable.

You probably want to start by reviewing the dial peer configuration guides, and the dial peer matching documents to understand how that works.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7
Hi Damian,

To answer your questions:
1. do we have to configure DID numbers in both our gateway and CUCM?
Yes, that is the recommended approach (Dial Peers in the GW and DNs or DIDs in the UCM). Please read the follow on, How to do it.

2. does the about sound correct? Will it work with that configuration?
I think it should send the call to the UCM.

3. what does the “incoming called-number . “mean in the pots dial peer?
the "." in the above statement means, to catch "all the incoming calls, for which Called Number is single digit or more", usually it is to "use" that dial-peer for Any and All incoming calls from PSTN.

Now, if I may suggest, Since it looks like a new setup, if I were you, I would have followed these points:

1. Encourage the PSTN provider to send the full E164 Numbers (ie Country Code + Area Code / NSD Code + Local Number)

2. Add those numbers / DID Numbers on your CUCM and then use the "Enterprise Alternate Number" (with proper Partition and CSS) to create the Internal Extension Numbers
3. Create dial-peers for E164 based Numbers on UCM, No need to create translation patterns
4. For internal Ext to Ext dialing, you can chose the last 4 or 5 digits using CSS that is visible only to the devices.

HTH
Wilson Samuel

thanks very much for answering my questions! this helps a lot

in a dial peer configuration what's the difference between destination-pattern and
incoming called-number ?

@DamianMartinez wrote:

thanks very much for answering my questions! this helps a lot

in a dial peer configuration what's the difference between destination-pattern and
incoming called-number ?

You need to understand that dial peers are used to match both incoming calls and outgoing.  "incoming called-number" is one of the methods the gateway uses to try to match an incoming call.  "destination-pattern" is one of the methods the gateway can use to try and decide which dial peer to use for an outbound call.   Inbound and outbound from the gateway's point of view.  PSTN->Gateway is inbound, Gateway->CUCM is outbound.

Referring to your dial peers 102 and 103 you have "destination-pattern [4-6]..." which a four digit dialled number starting 4, 5 or 6.  How does that relate to your number ranges?

thanks! those dial peers where configured before, nothing to do with the new DID numbers.

so in a pots dial peer, what does destination-pattern 9T mean?

@DamianMartinez wrote:

thanks! those dial peers where configured before, nothing to do with the new DID numbers.

so in a pots dial peer, what does destination-pattern 9T mean?

To specifically match the new DID numbers you want destination pattern of "85539."   To properly design these dial peers we'd need to know what other numbers are being handled.  For example those DPs 102 and 103 are expecting four digit numbers, are those numbers still live?  It would be unusual for an ISDN to present six digits for some numbers but only four for others.

"destination-pattern 9T" matches any number that starts with 9 followed by any number of digits.  In the case of a POTS dial peer this also has the effect of dropping the 9 from the number before sending to the PSTN.  So for example "91234" would match that dial peer but only "1234" would actually be dialled.

The "T" derives from "Timeout" meaning if the digits were being received individually it would be waiting for a timeout to decide the number was complete.  

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

@DamianMartinez wrote:

Translation Pattern:8553XX

Called Party Transformation Mask: 1XXX

Called party transform mask of 1XXX will retain the last three digits of the matched number.  For example 855395 will translate to 1395.   To get the results that you show in your table the mask needs to be 100X.  For the translation pattern itself I would prefer longest match possible, 85539X.

Regarding dial peers, the gateway have have any existing numbers routing to CUCM, if so the how are the dial peers configured?

In your proposed DP 10-5 you have " incoming called-number 85539".  I don't think that's going to do what you want.  If you want DP 105 to match calls from CUCM to the gateway then you want "incoming called-number 9T".

Hi,

thanks for the clarification, I have updated call manager procedure for translation patterns

Translation Pattern:85539X

Called Party Transformation Mask: 100X

About dial peers, we have the following configured:

dial-peer voice 103 voip
preference 1
session target ipv4:Call manager IP
incoming called-number .
voice-class codec 10
voice-class h323 1
no vad

dial-peer voice 102 voip
session target ipv4: Second Call manager IP
voice-class codec 10
voice-class h323 1
no vad

about your comment below:

if you want DP 105 to match calls from CUCM to the gateway then you want "incoming called-number 9T , can we also use incoming called-number . ?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: