Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 190 stayed Rejected (CUCM 8.6) [Solved]

Today I had a fight with an ATA 190. After I powered the critter up it autoregistered itself with the CUCM 8.6 but after that it failed to register; it stayed "rejected".

Probably it has something to do with this bug.

The ATA did not load the newer firmware from the CUCM and did not use the downloaded config file.

Not wanting to wait on TAC to resolve this and getting some hints that a manual upgrade would solve this problem I started to focus getting the firmware .bin-file.

(use at your own risk!)

Step 1 - Download the latest firmware from Cisco

Step 2 - Download HxD and 7Zip

Step 3 - Read this link

Step 4 - Open cmterm-ata190.1-1-2-005.cop.sgn in HxD and remove the certificate

Step 5 - Save the file (.gz !)

Step 6 - Unzip the .gz file with 7Zip

Step 7 - Open ATA190.1-1-2-005.bin.sgn and remove the certificate

Step 8 - Save the file (.bin !)

Step 9 - Open webinterface of the ATA 190, login (admin/admin) 

Step 10 - Go to Administration -> Upgrade and load the .bin file

If the ATA has the first available firmware it takes a while and will result in a "Upgrade Failed". Ignore this because it just works.

It seems the ATA still needs some help after this because after adding the TFTP address manually in the config of the ATA and a reboot the ATA registered correctly and worked like a charm.

I did a wiresharktrace on a ATA with the first firmware release and the config was downloaded but it seemed it did nothing with it. After upgrading it seems to ignore the TFTP-settings but still have to test this (I might be too impatient).

All in all this firmware is pretty flaky for a product (ATA) which has been around for so long.

7 Replies 7

LeoFoxBose
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

I am trying to follow this guide but I cannot upload the firmware from the Web Interface since I can not find the Upload section. Do you know if this works with CUCM 10 ?

Thanks.

Hello

It seems your ATA already has a config and firmware downloaded from a CUCM. The option disappears if it downloads a config from the CUCM.

Regards,

Marcel.

So I won't be able to perform this guide. The device is still getting rejected. So this is a device issue and not a licensing/CUCM ?

Rejected is something different than a licensing issue.

My experience with this box is:

- it needs the provisioning ip or it will not contact a CUCM

- after changes disconnect the box from its power source and power it up again otherwise it wil stay in rejected state.

I wonder how this box came through the quality checks because it is a really buggy device and considering the fact CIsco is selling ATAs for almost 2 decades they should know how to build one....

I fully agree with you.  This box does not correspond to the awaited quality for entreprise telephony and was officialized as beta box, without the necessary quality checks.

This box is miles away from a PnP box.  Much trouble with the initial behavior af the box in any versions (buggy firmwares) and any CUCM Version, even in the latest 11.5.

A rollout cannot be done without manual interventions an the UI is poor.

Regards,

Jacky

Miquel Bover
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marcel,

Please can you explain more detailed the step 7?

Once extracted the cmterm-ata190.1-1-2-005.cop.sgn.gz file I obtain the below files:

copstart.sh

load681.txt

ATA190.1-1-2-005.bin.sgn

ATA190.1-1-2-005.loads

When I open the ATA190.1-1-2-005.bin.sgn file using the HxD editor the file name is not followed by the Magic Number:

Can you explain which portion have I to remove in the HxD file?

Se HxD text from ATA190.1-1-2-005.bin.sgn file I have removed all text previous to the file name, and I have saved it to . bin file, but the upgrades doesn't works.

Best regards,

Miquel

Hi Miquel,

I had the same doubt but I discovered that you should erase everything before ATA190, or 41 54 41 in Hex.

It works and now my ATA190 is working again. Regards,

Manel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: