cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 191 setup for VOIP

Dave Kaye
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to be making eBay sellers wealthy (sort of) by buying CISCO ATA products.   I have used Obi (Plantronics) and Grandstream ATA units but found both lacking in some features, so I thought I'd try Cisco.  Both Obi and Grandstream are straightforward in loading UpToDate Firmware and configuring them for VOIP.  So, I first ordered a Cisco ATA 190 only to find that it can only be configured to work with other proprietary Cisco software.  I got a recommendation from the Cisco community to order a 191 or 192 (no specific model).  I ordered a 191 (which got cancelled) then found another seller who sent me a working 191 K9-V02.  I reset it but there is no way to update firmware to configure this unit to talk to VOIP providers.  Now some say you must get the ATA191-3PW-K9, not the vanilla K9 to set up the SIP calling.

So first.  Is there anyway using a PC based TFTP server that I can load the correct software on my ATA 191 K9?  If not, can somebody suggest the exact correct part number to use a Cisco ATA product to talk to VOIP.ms for my 4th eBay order as a home user.  Thanks Dave.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the other post, I specifically said ATA 191/192 can support 3PCC/MPP firmware.  

The ATA 191 that arrived is, most likely, flashed with Enterprise firmware (and not 3PCC/MPP firmware).  I could be wrong but I do not believe Cisco has an SKU for a ATA 191/192 conversion license like the 78xx or 88xx.  

NOTE: 

• The SKU for an ATA 191 with factory-installed 3PCC/MPP firmware is ATA191-3PW-K9.
  • The SKU for an ATA 192 with factory-installed 3PCC/MPP firmware is ATA192-3PW-K9.

Personally, if you have past experience with Obi products, I would recommend sticking to the same product because they have a long life, cheaper and are easier to configure, maintain and operate (by a very wide margin).

You cannot convert an ATA between firmware loads; it’s stuck with whatever train it shipped with, Enterprise (CUCM/CME) or MPP. The data sheet shows the correct PID to be ATA191-3PW-K9.

Even with the correct hardware you need a SMARTnet support contract to download software though. Getting that on a grey market serial number, assuming it’s even genuine hardware, will be very difficult.

@Jonathan Schulenberg wrote:
it’s stuck with whatever train it shipped with, Enterprise (CUCM/CME) or MPP.

Thanks for the confirmation, @Jonathan Schulenberg

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would also like to add that do not be tempted to buy/use SPA 121 and SPA 122.  

Cisco have put a "time bomb" in the firmware in the shape of an expired QuoVadis root certificate which completely renders the unit a worthless piece of plastic.  It is a simple fix but Cisco is using a convenient excuse that the model is end-of-support and refuses to release a firmware to fix this self-made bug.  

Dave Kaye
Level 1
Level 1

Gave up on my Cisco experiment.  Went back to my Obi202.  I would like to thank the community for the assistance it provided me in understanding Cisco's ATA offerings Seems not to be best for the home user compared to Obi.  Dave