cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA187 not working with fax machine

Justin Westover
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ATA187 connected to a Konica Minolta fax machine at our branch site, this branch site is connected to our HQ via a layer 3 mpls circuit. The branch site as a PRI connected to an h.323 gateway. The PRI is only used in case of emergency, the branch gateway could use SRST mode if it looses communication with CUCM.  The ATA is running the latest firmware v 9.2. The ATA runs SIP and is currently set on the ATA187, the FAX Mode is currently set at T.38 Fax Relay. Below is the dial-peer for the Branch site:

dial-peer voice 3000 voip

destination-pattern [12346]...$

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

session target ipv4:10.10.72.10

incoming called-number [9]

voice-class codec 10

voice-class h323 10

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

fax rate 14400

fax protocol t38 nse force version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw

ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

no vad

Now this is the dial peer for HQ, this is the gateway that the calls goes outbound on to the PSTN.

dial-peer voice 3000 voip

destination-pattern [12346]...$

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

session target ipv4:10.10.72.10

incoming called-number [9]

voice-class codec 10

voice-class h323 10

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

fax rate 14400

fax protocol t38 nse force version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw

ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

no vad

The problem is that users can send out a fax no problem, but they cannot receive. The other odd thing is when I dial the fax number for our fax machine (ATA connected to the fax machine) it will give me the normal fax tone for about 5 seconds then the call is just terminated, i'm assuming the ATA is terminating the call. Has anyone experienced this problem or something similar and found a solution?

6 Replies 6

chuencheat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am also having the fax issue with the Konica Minolta fax machine

I am using 2911 MGCP gateway with ATA187 using T38

Anyone can help on this?

I was actually able to figure this out. First, ATA187's do not support t38, only G711. If you notice in my original post, I had the fax protocol set (my voice gateway is H323 so you will have to apply this to your MGCP gateway), I removed the fax protocol line that said "

fax protocol t38 nse force version 0 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw". Also under the voice service voip, I configured "fax protocol none", this removed all t38 from my gateway.

Next in CUCM i setup a new region and device pool. The region I called FAX-REGION and under all of the regions I setup for G.722, G.711 (no G729 only 711). Then I created new device pools for each voice gateway that I have and associated the new region to the device pool.

Next I went to the ATA187 device and under device pool, I associated it with the device pool that I created for it depending on the location that it's at (remember all of my fax device pools used the same FAX-REGION using G711 for the audio bit rate).

Last but not least, you need to setup the fax mode under the ATA device level to "Fax Pass-Through".

I also uploaded the latest firmware for our 187s which is APP187.9-2-1-0

Hope this helps, again my gateway is H323 but I'm pretty sure this should help you out since most of your configuration should be on the call manager.

Ohh do some testing first to see if you are having the same issue I was, perhaps you are having a completely different problem (probably not), on your router (voice gateway) type in "show voice call status" and this will show you the codec used for the call, you want ot see g711ulaw not 729.

Hi Justin,

The fax is intermittent.

When there is a fax transmission, i can see the T.38 is negotiated and fax conversation proceed.

But somehow some fax conversation just disconnect for no reason.

Any idea?

You should begin by removing t.38 and only using g711 for the codec. The ATA187s do not support t38, and even the 186's didn't, they support pass through. So get the ata to communicate using g711 not g729.

Hello,

i had similar problems here with ATA187 and faxmachines ....

The "fax protocol none"  command on my H323 gateway solved it in the end. Faxes are now working.

The interessting thing is, on an other system i also administrate - i have the ATA187 working with T38 for faxmachines. Only difference i found is the T38 config is running with Callmanager 8.5 - the one were i needed to put in the

"fax protocol none" command is a Callmanager 7.1.

Good luck....

Ingo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: