Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA187 VLAN Operation

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have some ATA187's which are connected to CUCM 9.1.

They will only register if I set the access VLAN on the switchport to the voice VLAN.

Is this the designed behaviour? - I had hoped they would work like IP phones and pick up the voice VLAN that is set on the switchport.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ATAs cannot pickup voice vlan, that's why you define the access vlan as the voice vlan ID, same idea as with voice gateways.

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is probably because only the voice vlan points to DHCP scope with option 150 defined. ATAs jut like phones can work on any vlan as long as they can pull the config from TFTP via option 150 (if using DHCP) and communicate with the CUCM call processing servers.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure I fully understand you. Normal IP phones will send their DHCP request to the voice VLAN, get the option 150 info, download their config and then register. There is no need for the access VLAN on the switch port to have option 150 set.

What I am seeing with the ATA187's is that they send a DHCP request on the access VLAN, get an IP address but no option 150 information and then just stay in that VLAN.

I can get them to register by changing the access VLAN on the switch to be the same as the voice VLAN but I want to avoid this unless it is the only option as it makes the ports unusable for standard phone and PC connections.

Cheers

James

ATAs cannot pickup voice vlan, that's why you define the access vlan as the voice vlan ID, same idea as with voice gateways.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was hoping that the ATA187 would be intelligent enough to do work out the VLANs so thanks for confirming that this is not the case.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Sorry, we don't use any of the ATA187's but I thought these

bug notes were quite interesting

ATA 187 is not obtaining IP address from VLAN configured on its Eth port

CSCub39248

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

So does this mean that I set one vlan on the ATA switchport which is the voice vlan? Do I add the qos info. as well? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: