cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auth Fail Upgrade 7961 to SIP Firmware

brianpocock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on a cisco 7961 to a SIP version but when the phone boots It looks like it trys to download it as on the screen there is a little down arrow and the filename of the firmware image but underneath it says auth fail.

Could this be to do with setting the phone_password in the configuration files. i.e. the password on the phone not being the default "cisco"?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version of firmware are you attempting to upgrade from and to?

If it is 8.5(3) or later this has been covered on the forum already for those who don't read release notes before upgrading.

Currently its running SCCP41.8-2-1S and I want to go to: P0S3-8-12-00.

Thanks for the help

Yep, you have run into the same issue that everyone else has hit. The release notes for 8.5(3) and later states the following:

For all SIP firmware upgrades from firmware  release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to version 8.5(3) or greater, you  must first upgrade your firmware to version 8.5(2). Once you have  upgraded to version 8.5(2), you can upgrade your IP Phone to version  8.5(3) or later.

So I need to put specificly 8.5(2) on it before I can go to any older or newer version than that?

Thanks

P0S3-8-12-00

That is firmware for the 7940/60, and cannot be used on the phone that you have.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Good catch! I glossed right over that minor detail.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: