Replies

Auto answer second inbound call?

samhopealpha
Level 1
Level 1
Hi everybody, 

Here is the scenario, 

I have configured the Line 1 (e.g 1001) to "Auto answer with speakerphone"

When the 1st inbound (DN 5551) call arrived, DN 1001 is able to auto answer. 

Then, 2nd inbound (5552) call arrived, and in Call Waiting status

When DN 1001 and DN 5551 has finished the call and disconnect.

The 2nd inbound (DN 5552) is in alert status. The DN 1001 cannot auto answer 2nd inbound call (DN 5552)

Is it possible to make the IP phone to auto answer the 2nd inbound call ?

Thanks 
Sam
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is merely any impact of this parameter whether two ringing calls are on same line or different.

If having multiple ringing calls on same or different lines, you can control whether not to auto-answer the call and hence you've a choice to selectively answer the call OR always auto-answer the call for which auto-answer timer has been expired first, existing ringing calls won't be then auto answered.

Despite of the this parameter behavior and as I said before, your requirement is bit different where you want to auto-answer the second ringing call after disconnecting the first call. This doesn't seems to be possible.

- Vivek

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AFAIK, no. You will have to manually answer the call on Line2. There is one service paramter 'Alternate Idle Phone Auto-Answer' which controls the behavior during auto-answer with multiple lines but I don't think that will help you here.

- Vivek

Thanks for the quick respond

According to Cisco 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmcfg/bccm-861-cm/b03dn.html

Auto Answer

Choose one of the following options to activate the Auto Answer feature for this directory number:

Auto Answer Off <Default>

Auto Answer with Headset

Auto Answer with Speakerphone

Note Make sure that the headset or speakerphone is not disabled when you choose Auto Answer with headset or Auto Answer with speakerphone.

Note Do not configure Auto Answer for devices that have shared lines.

But it does not explain the scenario to my situation. Is there any reference from Cisco can fit to explain my situation?

Thanks 
Sam

Respective service parameter has some description how auto-answer will behave in case of multiple calls. Implicitly, call can be answered only in idle, ringing and hold state when this parameter is set to False. In your case, when second call arrives, there is an active call on line1 and hence auto-answer doesn't trigger. 

This parameter determines whether lines on an idle (not in use) phone that are configured for auto-answer will use the standard auto-answer feature behavior, or will use an alternate behavior defined by this parameter. The alternate behavior effectively disables auto-answer when a call is on hold or incoming because it allows users to choose whether to answer a call that is ringing on a line that has been configured for auto-answer. Valid values specify True (disable auto-answer when a call is on hold, a call is incoming or outgoing, or a call is connected) or False (do not change the standard behavior of the auto-answer feature, which means that calls will be auto-answered when the line is idle, ringing, or has a call on hold and not auto-answer when a call is connected or outgoing). This parameter proves useful in situations where a phone has been configured with multiples lines, one or more of which have the auto-answer feature configured. For example, a phone has two lines. Line 1 has been configured for Auto-Answer, line 2 has not. By setting this parameter to True, you disable the standard auto-answer behavior so that in the case where the user has a call ringing on line 2 and another call ringing on line 1, the user has the choice of whether to answer line 2 before answering line 1 (which would otherwise auto-answer, thereby eliminating any choice on the user's part). If this parameter was set to False, in the same scenario, line 1 would always auto-answer and the user would not have the opportunity to answer line 2 first.

Thanks the for the reply, 

According to this description, 

This parameter proves useful in situations where a phone has been configured with multiples lines, one or more of which have the auto-answer feature configured.

However, in my situation, there is only 1 primary line on phone. It seems the parameter does not apply on it.

There is merely any impact of this parameter whether two ringing calls are on same line or different.

If having multiple ringing calls on same or different lines, you can control whether not to auto-answer the call and hence you've a choice to selectively answer the call OR always auto-answer the call for which auto-answer timer has been expired first, existing ringing calls won't be then auto answered.

Despite of the this parameter behavior and as I said before, your requirement is bit different where you want to auto-answer the second ringing call after disconnecting the first call. This doesn't seems to be possible.

- Vivek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: