cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto registration challenge

JasunKAR
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning!  I've been looking at this for a couple days now.  Followed all the rules by the book, so I think.  Searched, googled, asked other people, even opened a TAC case.  Enough back story.

I'm trying to get auto registration working on our 7 node cluster.  In the past I've run this off publisher.  In this installation publisher is dedicated to administrative functionality as the cluster is pretty big.  We have 1 pub, 4 subs, 2 dedicated TFTP (and various other UC servers).  

I've enabled auto reg on CM and CM group.  I've setup ranges.  I've added UDT and ULT.  I've added auto registration DP to device default pages for the model of phone i'm registering.  CUCM service is running on the server with auto registration.  Network is fine as we have over 1000 phones currently using this cluster.  The CM group with auto reg has the first server as the server with auto reg enabled.  

Auto registration is a new config to this cluster.  It wasn't setup before and am trying to set it up now.  I'll attached a PDF for visual as well.  Just looking to see if anyone can spot something before I start bouncing services.  

Thanks!!

6 Replies 6

Those the sub with auto-registration have all the services needed enabled?
What about the DHCP settings, to which pub/sub it is pointing option 150?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmcfg/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100/CUCM_BK_C95ABA82_00_admin-guide-100_chapter_011010.htmlwarnings.PNG

@Rolando Valenzuela Yes sir I read that same document :)  The system as a whole works great for everything else but this.  The sub that the auto reg is pointing to is capable of registering IP phones during normal operations and TFTP servers are operational as other manually created phones are registering just fine. 

I am unsure which services the sub with auto reg would need beyond Call Manager service.  TFTP is hosted on another cisco box in the cluster.  

I'll try enabling TFTP on the server that has auto-registration since it is the one that generates automatically the configuration file.

Rolando A. Valenzuela.

@Rolando Valenzuela  I think you are spot on.  I moved my config to a lab and tested with and without auto reg server running tftp.  Looks like when I put my config in the lab with a server running cucm and tfp it worked.  Doesn't seem like I can split the services on the auto registration server.  

I'm going to vet this tonight and will mark the solution appropriately if it works in our prod :)  

Thanks!!

No go :(  

I had our vendor who did the phone system install look over my setup and he states it is by the book.  Moving to TAC case.

Resolved my challenge by rebooting TFTP servers after enabling auto registration /sigh

Next challenge:

You can't auto provision the phone without the user account having a primary extension.  You can't have a primary extension without having a device defined in CUCM that has an extension configured and associated to an end user.  RDP profile won't work for this.  

I'm left wondering what the point of auto provision is if I have to have a defined device with an extension so I can set the primary line on the end user account?  Or am I missing something.  And yes i've read documentation until my eyes bled.  Maybe I missed something in the documentation.