Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto-Registration Device Pools on the CUCM 8.5

Hi there,

I have been asking a very interesting question by one of my customers this morning. The question follow this scenario:

The Client has a Multi-Site but Centralized CUCM Deployment running with 1 PUB and 1 SUB on UCS. There is one HQ and 3 SRST Sites connecting to the main HQ via the IP WAN. The CUCM HQ site is 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.

SRST Site 1 is 192.168.10.0/24, SRST Site 2 is 192.168.12.0/24 and SRST Site 3 is 192.168.13.0/24. These subnets are the ones being used by Cisco IP Phones.

At the HQ, the CUCM PUB is at 192.168.1.100 and CUCM SUB is at 192.168.1.101. We have enabled Auto Registration on the CUCM SUB with the range from 2000 à 2500. We have configured a CUCM Group called CUCM-SUB-PUB1 where the CUCM SUB is Priority 1 and CUCM PUB is Priority 2. Then a Device Pool called Auto-Reg is configured to use the CUCM-SUB-PUB1 as the CUCM Group.

All IP Phones DHCP settings have been configured to use CUCM SUB as the Primary TFTP Server and then CUCM PUB as Backup TFTP Server.

IP Phones at the HQ auto register with the CUCM SUB and end up in the “Auto Reg” Device Pool and the same happens for IP Phones located at the SRST Site 1, 2 and 3. They all end up in that “Auto Reg” Device Pool. Later on, once the IP Phones register, we moves them to their respective Device Pool.

Here is what the customer is asking, based on this kind of scenario, they want three “Auto-Reg” Device Pool named Auto-Reg, Auto-Reg1, Auto-Reg2, Auto-Reg3 configured on the CUCM. All IP Phones at the HQ should auto register and end up in the Auto-Reg DP and SRST Site 1 IP Phones should auto register and end up in Auto-Reg1 and IP Phones at SRST Site 2 should auto register and end up in Auto-Reg2, etc.

I only have Auto-Reg turn on the SUB. How can I achieves this? Based on where the IP Phones are coming from on the network ending up in their own Auto Reg Device Pool?

Warm regards,

Johnny Kabundi.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't. CUCM doesn't know (and doesn't care) where the ip phones are or what's their IP for auto-reg.

You need to keep doing it as you're, let them auto-register and then change as needed.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't. CUCM doesn't know (and doesn't care) where the ip phones are or what's their IP for auto-reg.

You need to keep doing it as you're, let them auto-register and then change as needed.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi Java,

Thanks so much for the update.

I will have the client know about this then.

Warm regards,

Johnny Kabundi

Hi Jaime,

your post is 5 years ago. Is there still no solution for this problem as I also asked this at "https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/13287111/cucm-auto-registration"?

BR

Michael

Same thing, no way to configure phones with auto-reg depending on their IP.

There are only a couple of things you can try here:

A) Register all phones, then adjust with BAT

B) Register 50% of the phones with DP1, adjust the settings, then register the other 50%.

HTH

java

What then is the purpose of specifying different templates under the auto-registration settings for the different Cisco Unified CM servers?  It would seem to me that this would be a cluster wide setting.  Not disagreeing with you just trying to understand when I would want to use different templates for different auto-registration servers.