Views
Helpful
Replies

background image on phones with extension mobility profile logged in

geeta.kumari1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I want to understand that when never we apply a new background image to 79XX, 88XX, 89XX, 99XX cisco phone and restart the TFTP server and restart the phone and if the phones are logged i by extension mobility profile will it take effect or I need to ask user to logout and login profile.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the user is logging in using EM after you have applied the background image, restarted TFTP, phone etc then it should have taken the effect anyways. In case, if you are doing the above i.e., applying background image, restarting TFTP, phone etc while the user is logged into EM then it should not really matter since you apply the background image to the phone and not on EM profile. Hence as long as the phones on which users are logged in using EM are able to pull the new cnf.xml you should be good there.

Regards

Deepak

View solution in original post

Hi Geeta,

Yes. The phone logged in to the profile too should be able to reach out to tftp server and request for it's List.xml file.

Once it has the xml file user can choose the Background image and apply it.

Please rate if helpful.

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Please rate and mark correct if helpful
Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Adarsh Chauhan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Geeta,

Can you please put this in a sequence of events with the expected or desired output?

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Hi Adarsh,

Phone are logged in by using extension mobility profile.

New background image is uploaded to tftp server and then restarted tftp service

Reset the phone.

Now if the user are logged in with their EM profile will the new background image will b available in phone's user preference

Hi Geeta,

Yes. The phone logged in to the profile too should be able to reach out to tftp server and request for it's List.xml file.

Once it has the xml file user can choose the Background image and apply it.

Please rate if helpful.

Regards,

Adarsh Chauhan

Regards,
Adarsh Chauhan

Hi Deepak/ Adarsh,

Thanks for the crisp detail. I did tested this and it works as mention to me.

Regards,

Geeta

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the user is logging in using EM after you have applied the background image, restarted TFTP, phone etc then it should have taken the effect anyways. In case, if you are doing the above i.e., applying background image, restarting TFTP, phone etc while the user is logged into EM then it should not really matter since you apply the background image to the phone and not on EM profile. Hence as long as the phones on which users are logged in using EM are able to pull the new cnf.xml you should be good there.

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

Today i was testing applying the background image on 9971 phone.

Phone logged in with EM profile. Uploaded the image and List.xml on tftp n restarted. Create a common phone profile and selected the desire image.

Bulk updated the phone to apply the new common phone profile and phone reset.

Image should get automaticaly updated over the phone but it didnt happened.

It was available as a selection in the phone setting.

I believe in cucm version 10.5 automatic background display should work.

Well the way you did it is correct Geeta and since you applied the image on the Common Phone Profile it should have been selected as well provided the phone reset process had gone successfully.

BTW, did the image get selected once you logged out of EM or what happened. To be honest there is no clear cut documentation for this particular scenario so it is more of a logical and testing thing we are talking/discussing here.

Regards 

Deepak

Hi Deepak

Just to update you. I rechecked the common phone profile, the " enable user to change background image" was checked. So the image was not getting auto reflected.

Thanks for being prompt.

Oh that's great Geeta and thanks for updating. With that option being checked what you experienced there was expected then.

Regards 

Deepak