cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth required during registration of ip sip phone

noc mcc
Level 1
Level 1

what is the bandwidth requirement of cisco 9971 model phone during registration?

11 Replies 11

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

SRND has bandwidth calculation/requirement for both media and signaling...

vivek, can you please giv me the link of SRND

SRND has bandwidth calculation for voice and video traffic.I wanted to know about the bandwidth requirement during the registration process of cisco 9971 ip phone.

Check chapter 3-49 "Provisioning for Call Control Traffic" in SRND version 10. You will get what you are looking for.

Thanks a lot Vivek... I went through it...but I think it talks about the bandwidth provisioning for voice traffic..for signalling and once the call is established....I neeed to know the bandwidth required just for registration ...i.e. in the following steps ( only registration without placing any call)   

1. The phone contacts the TFTP server and requests the Certificate Trust List file .

2. The phone contacts the TFTP server and requests its SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml configuration file.

3. The Phone downloads the default configuration XMLDefault.cnf.xml file from the TFTP server.

4. The SIP phone requests a firmware upgrade (Load ID file) and upgrades the firmware image automatically when required for a new version of CUCM.

5. The phone downloads the SIP dial rules configured for that phone.

6. The phone Establish connection with the primary CUCM and the TFTP server end to end.

7. The phone Registers with the primary CUCM server listed in its configuration file.

8. The phone downloads the appropriate localization files from TFTP.

9. The phone downloads the softkey configurations from TFTP.

10. The phone downloads custom ringtones (if any) from TFTP.

Also, I need t o know if the bandwidth required for this process is same for all phone models or different? Specifically, I need  this data for Cisco 9971 model.Please help...Thanks..

Hi noc mcc

Do you found your answers?

br Oleksandr

no oleksandr, can you help?

Thanks a lot Vivek... I went through it...but I think it talks about the bandwidth provisioning for voice traffic..for signalling and once the call is established....I neeed to know the bandwidth required just for registration ...i.e. in the following steps ( only registration without placing any call)   

1. The phone contacts the TFTP server and requests the Certificate Trust List file .

2. The phone contacts the TFTP server and requests its SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml configuration file.

3. The Phone downloads the default configuration XMLDefault.cnf.xml file from the TFTP server.

4. The SIP phone requests a firmware upgrade (Load ID file) and upgrades the firmware image automatically when required for a new version of CUCM.

5. The phone downloads the SIP dial rules configured for that phone.

6. The phone Establish connection with the primary CUCM and the TFTP server end to end.

7. The phone Registers with the primary CUCM server listed in its configuration file.

8. The phone downloads the appropriate localization files from TFTP.

9. The phone downloads the softkey configurations from TFTP.

10. The phone downloads custom ringtones (if any) from TFTP.

Also, I need t o know if the bandwidth required for this process is same for all phone models or different? Specifically, I need  this data for Cisco 9971 model.Please help...Thanks..

vivek, can you please giv me the link of SRND

Hi

I have the same question or nose if it is similar or different
I would like to know how much bandwidth is consumed, only when the phone is registered, without making any calls, just registered, what happens is that we will place a centralized solution and we need to size QoS with the SP to guarantee good voice communication through the WAN, in a remote location I will have 140 telephones and I need to know how much BW needed separates for the voice QoS,
There is documentation of how much you consume per call according to the codec, but you can not find any document of how much a Cisco phone consumes just because it is registered to the Call Manager (this is for remote sites that go through a wan)

Any comments will be welcome.

Regards

Carlos P

I hope everybody found this link https://cway.cisco.com/tools/vccalc/ for call estimates

Registration estimates are different, just consider the boot up process for an IP Phone and measure that.

1. Power-on self-test (POST)
  2. The phone begins the boot process.
  3. The phone uses Cisco Discovery Protocol to learn the voice VLAN.
  4. The phone initializes a basic IP stack.
  5. The IP phone (DHCP client) sends a DHCPDISCOVER request to the 255.255.255.255 broadcast address.
  6. A DHCP server (sometimes it is CUCM) returns a DHCPOFFER message and assigns the following for the requested scope: a free IP address, the subnet mask, the default gateway, the DNS server (optional), and the TFTP server (option 150) for the scope. This information is sent to the DHCP client (the IP phone) using the broadcast address 255.255.255.255 (the router uses the IP phone MAC address at Layer 2).
  7. The IP phone takes the values received from the DHCP response and applies them to the IP stack of the IP phone.
  8. The IP phone uses the value received in option 150 to attempt to retrieve a configuration file from the TFTP server. (Usually CUCM)
  9. Phone register with call manager.

The file size (based on feature, dialplan, protocol and phone model) varies + all registration signaling messages will give you the bandwidth for a phone - It is something you will have to measure on your own most of the time.

Actual calls will consume more bandwidth so as long as you have your math right for your QoS policies, you should not have problems with registration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: