Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic help needed for Cisco 8811

JohnnyD10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Please bear with me.  I'm brand new to IP telephony.  I have a Cisco 8811 that I'd like to use with a service like Call Centric.  I THINK I understand what's possible, but perhaps not...

Can someone please point me to the basics of using this IP phone with a virtual PBX service that will provide me a dial tone?  I want to, without using a pbx  (I have just this one phone), be able to place and receive calls by having the phone directly connect to an internet phone service provider.

This may not even be possible, since I read a post here that said if an 88xx comes with enterprise firmware (which I think my phone may have), it cannot be converted it to 3PCC, which I believe is necessary to do what I am trying to do.

As you can see, I have no idea what I'm doing yet, and pointers to any basic sources of info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-John

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I'd like to know is if the phone came with 3PCC or Enterprise firmware.

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Yes, would be more curious to know your current model of phone and the firmware. To get multi platform PBX support on an 8811 you need to purchase the 8811- 3PCC SKU.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

JohnnyD10
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the responses. 

As a model number, I see "CP-8811", and in the "active load" field, I see "sip88xx.12-1-1SR1-4".  Does this shed light on whether it has enterprise firmware?

Yup! That’s an Enterprise phone. Means it’s for CUCM registration. If you can see the firmware name contains MPP that indicates it’s got a 3rd Party Phone Control firmware. Unfortunately you can’t convert an Enterprise loaded firmware phone to 3PCC Phone. Whereas you can upgrade from Third-Party Call Control to Enterprise Firmware but after you upgrade to the Enterprise Firmware, you cannot revert to the Third-Party call control firmware.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

Now why in the world does Cisco not allow you to change from enterprise to 3PCC?  It seems like a really bad decision.

Another question: Can I use Asterisk as a PBX with this phone, or does it absolutely require CUCM to talk to?

Thanks

Hi there

I have read some posts that you can use the enterprise phones with Asterisk PBX using the same firmware

Please check this below post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/upgrade-cisco-phone-for-3rd-party-call-control/td-p/2926655

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

Go HERE for a known working configuration file for a 9951/9971.  

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.

Thank you.  Will this allow me to revert to 3PCC firmware?

@JohnnyD10 wrote:

Thank you.  Will this allow me to revert to 3PCC firmware? 

If the phone is running Enterprise firmware then it will NOT be possible to load 3PCC firmware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: