cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Phone selection question

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  Hopefully this is an easy one.  I don't yet setup or install IP PBX's oranything however I will probably do so sometime next year . Meanwhile, I'd like to replace my desk phone.  I figure if it's possible, I'd like to pick an IP phone, 2 line minimum, but that also has 2 land lines via traditional POTS RJ11 connection.  Or an IP phone with an adapter of some kind to allow this.  This is just so I can buy a repalcement phone now but not have to buy yet another one when I start working with VoIP. 

Is this even possible with any Cisco phones?                  

Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco phones are IP phones. That suggest they dont have analogue adapter etc. So you cant connect them to any RJ11 analogue ports. If you want to use a cisco phone, you will need additional hardware to support it. So its as simple as picking up a cisco phone and connect it to a line. You will need a swicth, a call routing agent..or you can buy a bundle with everything combined such as UC320..

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco phones are IP phones. That suggest they dont have analogue adapter etc. So you cant connect them to any RJ11 analogue ports. If you want to use a cisco phone, you will need additional hardware to support it. So its as simple as picking up a cisco phone and connect it to a line. You will need a swicth, a call routing agent..or you can buy a bundle with everything combined such as UC320..

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks very much.  Would you say the UC320 is something that can be set up, if one understands networking but is not VoIP-edcated yet?  Just wondering if I should buy the UC320 and set it up "quicklY" at my office, so I can get a new phone.  It's not worth doing right now if it'll take me weeks to learn how to deploy it though. 

Thank you. 

In all honesty, its not that simple to setup. You will need some skills, or get someone to help you to do it.

Well, I've got some basic experience with simple QoS (very basic, as in, setting bandwidth priority on IP addresses via an ACL), and am good with other networking, maybe that's enoug but if not I can get help outside my company.   I'll talk with my Cisco rep about a demo or something too.  Thanks! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: