cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question on router and TFTP Server

CiscoLearner
Level 1
Level 1

I apologies for what is likely to be a very trivial question to many but I'm learning from the ground up! (sub terrain in fact)

I have inherited a 2821 with CME installed.  With that came a few 7970G phones and a 3750PS-S router.

So a few basic of questions....

1. Do I need to have a TFTP Server connected in the system somewhere?  

2. If so, what files do I need server home folder, I have the latest 7970 SCCP tar.  How is it added within the network?

3. Is there a how to anywhere out there?  Despite my best efforts all the youtube/help content is aimed a few rungs above where I am right now.  My learning style is practical so assemble/dissemble is the way I retain.

Any pointers are really appreciated.

Tom

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@van@rochy.co.uk wrote:

1. Do I need to have a TFTP Server connected in the system somewhere?  

If there is enough flash memory, then the router can act as a TFTP server.

Thanks - Is this configuration called something special or can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks 

If the file(s) are in the flash of the router, do this: 

conf t
 tftp flash0:filename.ext
end

Do this to each file.

Optionally, you can specify which Interface TFTP can traverse: 

conf t
 ip tftp source <BLAH>
end

And you can make things faster too by increasing the TFTP block size. 

conf t
 ip tftp block <up to 8192>
end

Thanks.  Not sure that is all immediately obvious to me but with some research around it that is going to be start.

If for instance I was to have a TFTP server sat on the port 48 of the C3750 who would the 7970's be directed towards it?   

Right now I'm not able to make changes to any Network settings in the 7970 in the phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: