Views
Helpful
Replies

BE7K UCM upgrading time

Suchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

I want to upgrade UCM/UNITY/IMP from  10.5.1 to 10.5.2 & need to plan the time , what is the average time for below tasks? Cluster has PUB & SUB.

1. Upload firmware to UCM

2. Upload firmware to UNITY

3. Upload firmware to IMP

4. Switch version time for UCM

5.Switch version time for UNITY

6.Switch version time for IMP

Thanks

Suchi

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suchi,

Switch version for this upgrade should take around 30 minutes for each server. Switch version on the Sub should be done only when the Pub has switched successfully to the target version.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

Hi Suchi,

when you install the upgrade files on the servers there is no downtime during that process. The downtime would come only when you do a swicth version. When a swicth version on cucm happens then two scenarios are possible:

1. If the firmware version in the device defaults is the same in both 10.5.1 and 10.5,2 versions then the phones will perform a quick failover to backup server when primary callmanager is rebooting, it will take a couple of minutes at max and then fallback to primary when it becomes available.

2. If the device defaults change in new version ( please check the release notes or read me files for the same ) then during switch version the phones will initiate the firmware upgrade as well and it can take a few extra minutes so downtime will be more.

You can avoid the possibility of phone upgrading the firmware by specifying the existing firmware name available in Device Defaults under the 'Phone Load Name' setting of the IP phone config page, that ways the phones will stay on existing firmware even if the device defaults change. You can then plan to remove the Phone load name setting during some other maintenance window and upgrade them. Alternatively you can upgrade the firmware in advance to the desired level.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Suchi,

Switch version for this upgrade should take around 30 minutes for each server. Switch version on the Sub should be done only when the Pub has switched successfully to the target version.

HTH

Manish

Hi Manish,

Thanks for the answer, i really  need to minimize the phone downtime, what is the time duration for uploading the fimware for each server?

I hope phones moves to SUB when i do the switch version on the PUB, what is the actual dowtime for phones?

Thanks

Suchi

Hi Suchi,

when you install the upgrade files on the servers there is no downtime during that process. The downtime would come only when you do a swicth version. When a swicth version on cucm happens then two scenarios are possible:

1. If the firmware version in the device defaults is the same in both 10.5.1 and 10.5,2 versions then the phones will perform a quick failover to backup server when primary callmanager is rebooting, it will take a couple of minutes at max and then fallback to primary when it becomes available.

2. If the device defaults change in new version ( please check the release notes or read me files for the same ) then during switch version the phones will initiate the firmware upgrade as well and it can take a few extra minutes so downtime will be more.

You can avoid the possibility of phone upgrading the firmware by specifying the existing firmware name available in Device Defaults under the 'Phone Load Name' setting of the IP phone config page, that ways the phones will stay on existing firmware even if the device defaults change. You can then plan to remove the Phone load name setting during some other maintenance window and upgrade them. Alternatively you can upgrade the firmware in advance to the desired level.

HTH

Manish

Thanks both you Guys..

[+5] to Manish.

there won't be any downtime for phones to switch over to SUB.

Above that , u are doing minor upgrade , there won't be any major firmware upgrades for phones.

Lastly, that depends on the size of patch. It would take about an hour to upload and execute  patch whose size is 5GB.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: