cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best practice for voice vlan - access or trunk

joel
Level 1
Level 1

there are 2 ways to configure a port that connects a phone and piggy backs a PC.

1)

switchport access vlan 1

switchport voice vlan 2

2)

switchport trunk encap dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 1

switchport voice vlan 2

which is best way... is there a doc?

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joel,

The Trunk mode setup was a Cisco "best practice" on the older 3500XL Switches (like the 3550).

The switchport mode trunk method was the only way to go, but on all newer versions (like the 2960/2970/3750)the need for Switchport mode Trunk is not necessary..

I do know that it is unnecessary to configure the switchport in Trunk mode because when you use the Voice VLAN (with an "Access" vlan) command a "special" dot1q trunk is automatically setup. The reasons I have seen to support this setup are many and vary from minimizing Trunking overhead to ease of configuration and everything in between :)

Here is one of the better threads I have ever read on this issue (with some Tac links as well). There are some great answers from Mahesh,Paolo Sankar and others here.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified Communications and Video&topic=IP Telephony&CommCmd=MB?cmd=pass_through&location=outline@^1@@.1ddd5905/14#selected_message

Hope this helps!

Rob

thanks

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

I think that "switchport voice vlan" depends on the the phone supporting CDP? Someone, please correct me if I am wrong about this. In case you used non-Cisco phones assuming they have VLAN ability, you could use this:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan DVLAN

switchport access vlan VVLAN

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: