cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to block toll fraud

zrunner626
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm really not a voice expert but manage a voice system and have spent my day trying to figure out how to block toll fraud from our phone system. I was thinking of using a voice translation-rule to block outgoing called numbers that match the area code of numbers like 242 Bahamas that don't require an international code to dial apparently.

1. Is there a better way that I should explore, other than using a voice translation something like this:

voice translation-rule 5
 rule 1 reject /242/
 rule 2 reject /264/
 rule 3 reject /284/

voice translation-profile BLOCK-TOLL-FRAUD
 translate called

dial-peer voice X pots
call-block translation-profile outgoing BLOCK-TOLL-FRAUD
call-block disconnect-cause outgoing call-reject

2. If a voice translation-rule is suitable, can I use [ ] for my rules to help since there are more numbers than available rules. Such as:  rule 1 reject /24[26]/

Would appreciate help!

7 Replies 7

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes translation patterns with reject are probably easier that using router patterns using caller ID to block.

there is a rule limitation you might bump into if you have a large number of calls to block, but if its just calls like Bahamas, then you should be fine.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4
Anther option is to call your telephony provider and ask them to block international country for you.
Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You have configured it correctly but you can only have the call block translations in the incoming direction and not outgoing. So if you are trying to block outgoing calls, better to do it on CUCM either through block TP or RP.

Just to clarify, you mean "translation pattern" or "route pattern"? I had considered blocking on a route pattern.

Should I be considering another option. Is there a better way to block it on the inbound?

I found this https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/translation-rule/td-p/2894460 but wasn't sure I understood it fully. It seems it's preventing null patterns, patterns starting with a 9 (to prevent sending a pattern that would be routed back out), correct? But how does the Block all not keep you from receiving any calls (is it because it's a dial-peer with lower priority?)

Thanks for the input

Translation pattern is usually for inbound. For outbound calls you might route your call through a TP depending upon your configuration. Route pattern serves outbound only.
For inbound blocking on CUCM, look at this -
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/technotes-how-to-block-incoming-calls-in-cucm-8-x-based-on-ani/ta-p/3124389

The thread that you posted should serve you as well. It's upto you where do you want the change to be. There are options on both GW and CUCM.

zrunner626
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all for your input. I ended up created Block Route Patterns for each of the area codes in CM. Seems to have taken care of the issue or slowed it down significantly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: