cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to integrate RightFax with Unity Connection....

Ray Morehead
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the final phases of upgrading from Unity 8 to Unity Connection 8.5.

Has anyone had to integrate Rightfax with Connection? If so, how did you do it, is there any documentation that I can take a look at?

The biggest question is how does INBOUND faxing work?

Thanks!

~Ray             

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My advise is not to go down this path. For one thing, support of the integration will end this upcoming May. For another, storing TIF-formatted faxes on CXN will chew through a lot of mailstore storage. Besides, no one really wants to print a fax from their voicemail anymore; we have email now.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/design/guide/8xcucdgx/8xcucdg080.html

The biggest question is how does INBOUND faxing work?

Inbound calls route to the fax server, not CXN. There is a TCL script for doing a shared DID between voice and fax; however, it doesn't work all the time because it relies on a tone that only modern fax machines send. I have tried to impliment it for a client and they had to revert because a single customer had some ancient machine and it spooked the users that they were all missing faxes. Again, don't go there; DIDs are cheap now.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.

You said that support for integration is ending, does that mean Cisco will no longer support Rightfax? or just the integration part? Does Cisco have any other fax server options?

Thanks!

Only the integration. Fax servers are, generally speaking, compatible with CUCM and CXN has nothing to do with the call. In most cases it's just a call requesting T.38 as the media capability as far as CUCM is concerned.

Thankfully, Cisco has decided not to compete in this space. There are several mature fax server products out there already, my personal preference is XMediusFAX.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.