cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to migrate 6000 phones

tconnorbok
Level 1
Level 1

We built a new CUCM 10.5 environment and now we need to migrate phones from CUCM 8.0  to this system. We  tried  using bulk admin but that process is a complete joke. If you needed to do a mass change on several phones that is the way to go but moving phones from one version to another just doesn't work without hours looking over what has changed on the export files on each version. Cisco needs to redesign a better way.

So I thought I would ask the Cisco Community if there is another way to do this. Hopefully there is... 

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there isn't, that's actually the only way to migrate from a 5K to a 6K, 7K or enterprise CUCM.

The easiest it can get is if you use the same versions, if not, there's no way around massaging the data until it's compliant with all the new fields from the later release.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Isn`t that why Prime is being pushed by Cisco ?- to migrate the Db across from an old CUCM to a newer version ?

If need be Upgrade CUCM 8 to a level that you can used Prime and then use Prime to carry out the migration ?

They say they already have the 10.5 cluster, PCD migration doesn't work on an existing cluster, PCD will do a fresh install of 10.x when doing the migration and then push the information.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Try to go with normal upgrade procedure. it will migrate the phones and configuration.

HTH

Anas

don't forget to rate the helpful posts

nisargshukla
Level 1
Level 1

I assume DHCP must be in place to release IP addresses.

You will have to change TFTP address (new call manager IP address) option 150 in DHCP string and reset all phones. They will try to register on new CUCM with new load.

But here is one catch If phones are not registering on new environment 10.5 you might have to delete CTL/ITL from each phone. Cisco TAC engineer may assist you to find a way to delete it in bulk. 

Thanks !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: