cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BLF without SIP URI

tlit_SH
Level 1
Level 1

Our client has a mixed environment of Cisco 8861-39CC phones and some polycom devices, as well.  They use Unified Office to manage their phones.

Recently, we were tasked with configuring their Cisco phones with BLF - and, we've hit a bit of a snag.  There is nothing listed in the SIP URI field.  Not sure if that's the problem (assuming it is, but I know less than Jon Snow about Cisco phones), but here's what we have:

Test Phone:

Extension = 500

UserID = 500001

Proxy = unified.office.server:port

Voice > Phone > Line Key 2:

Extension: Disabled

Short Name: $USER

Share Call Appearance: Private

Extended Function = fnc=blf+spd+cp;sub=500001@unified.office.server;ext=469@unified.office.server;nme=Steve 1

Voice > Phone > Line Key 3:

Extension: Disabled

Short Name: $USER

Share Call Appearance: Private

Extended Function = fnc=blf+spd+cp;sub=500001@$PROXY;ext=468@$PROXY;nme=Steve 2

The result:

The lights on the buttons next to 'Steve 1' and 'Steve 2' just blink all day.

So, rather than waste any more time - I figured I'd check to see if it's even possible without having something in the SIP URI field.  Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Phone [A] - the phone I'm using (belongs to me).

- UserID = 500001

- Extension = 500

Phone [B] - the phone I'm wanting to see the 'busy' status of (belongs to John Doe).

- UserID = 466001

- Extension = 466

With this config, I will suggest the following (This is with the assumption that the Service Provider has configured Subscription URIs this way).

You can try and see if it works:

Ext 1 - Private line registered as 500001

Ext 2 - Disabled.

Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

Thanks.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Extended Function = fnc=blf+spd+cp;sub=500001@unified.office.server;ext=469@unified.office.server;nme=Steve 1

It mean ...

... Line Key 2 is configured to monitor extension 500001 on unified.office.server and Line Key 3 should monitor 500001 on server which name is expanded from $PROXY variable

I assume it blink orange. It mean the phone is unable to subscribe status of the remote extension. It may be because phone is unable to resolve both unified.office.server and $PROXY server names. Or subscription request is not reaching the server (firewall ?). Or subscribe request is rejected by server (no permission, wrong extension name, ...). Or (positive) servers response doesn't reach the phone (firewall, NAT, ...). Capture SIP packets between phone and server to narrow the cause.

if it's even possible without having something in the SIP URI field

So sorry, I don't understand this question. What you mean "it" here ?

@Dan Lukes wrote:

It mean ...

... Line Key 2 is configured to monitor extension 500001 on unified.office.server and Line Key 3 should monitor 500001 on server which name is expanded from $PROXY variable

So the sub parameter is for the device we want to monitor?  Or is it the device that should be doing the monitoring?  The way the guide describes it makes it sound like ext/usr indicates the device to be monitored, and sub is the device doing the monitoring.

@Dan Lukes wrote: 

I assume it blink orange. It mean the phone is unable to subscribe status of the remote extension. It may be because phone is unable to resolve both unified.office.server and $PROXY server names. Or subscription request is not reaching the server (firewall ?). Or subscribe request is rejected by server (no permission, wrong extension name, ...). Or (positive) servers response doesn't reach the phone (firewall, NAT, ...). Capture SIP packets between phone and server to narrow the cause.

Yes, it blinks orange (Sorry, it's the only light I've seen on those buttons, so I wasn't sure if that was the only color it would blink, or not). The packet-capture is going to be a bit of a chore - the server is managed by Unified Office, so our access to it is limited.  I'll check around and see what we can do about that, and report back.

@Dan Lukes wrote: 

if it's even possible without having something in the SIP URI field

So sorry, I don't understand this question. What you mean "it" here ?

Oh, "it" was just referring to "setting up BLF".

Thanks for the quick response, hopefully I can get some information about the packets that might point to some kind of an answer.

bijpraka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello.

Is  UserID = 500001 registered on Line 1 of the device? Do you see that its LED is green?

Are 468@unified.office.server:port and 469@unified.office.server:port part of the BLF List 500001@unified.office.server?

Is it configured properly on the server?

If it is we would need a PRT to check whats wrong. Even a Packet capture from the phone would help.

Thanks.

@bijpraka wrote:

Hello.

Is  UserID = 500001 registered on Line 1 of the device? Do you see that its LED is green?

Yes.  Solid green LED.

@bijpraka wrote: 

Are 468@unified.office.server:port and 469@unified.office.server:port part of the BLF List 500001@unified.office.server?

Is it configured properly on the server?

I'm not sure - unified.office.server is a Proxy Address, used by Unified Office.  We do not appear to have access to the management of this server (except for some basic features, like setting up Default Business Hours, and running Incoming/Outgoing reports).  Is there a way to determine this without having administrator access on the server?

We will have to take a look at the messaging to see if there is anything wrong. You can reboot the phone, wait for the 1st LED to go green and and when the other 2 blink Orange you can take a PRT.

PRT can be taken by going to the phone web page:

Info -> Debug Info-> Generate PRT.

You can send this PRT to me and I can take a look at the messaging to/from the server.

Thanks.

@bijpraka wrote:

We will have to take a look at the messaging to see if there is anything wrong. You can reboot the phone, wait for the 1st LED to go green and and when the other 2 blink Orange you can take a PRT.

PRT can be taken by going to the phone web page:

Info -> Debug Info-> Generate PRT.

You can send this PRT to me and I can take a look at the messaging to/from the server.

Thanks.

Hopefully I started it at the right time - didn't anticipate the additional clicks following 'Generate PRT', so if I need to run through it again, to get the timing right, just let me know.

Thanks!

From thr PRT I can see that you are using a very old software version -  sip88xx.11-0-0MPP-7.loads

Please upgrade your device to the last release image that is 11-2-1MPP-630 and see if there is any difference. A PRT from that phone would be helpful if it doesn't work. Before rebooting the phone please remember to enable DEBUG logs.

Voice->System->Debug Level->DEBUG

Thanks.

@bijpraka wrote:

From thr PRT I can see that you are using a very old software version -  sip88xx.11-0-0MPP-7.loads

Please upgrade your device to the last release image that is 11-2-1MPP-630 and see if there is any difference. A PRT from that phone would be helpful if it doesn't work. Before rebooting the phone please remember to enable DEBUG logs.

Voice->System->Debug Level->DEBUG

Thanks.

I've upgraded the firmware to 11-2-1MPP-630, and Unified Office's Support team got back to me, so they've been testing all morning/afternoon, to no avail.

I verified that Debug Level was set to Debug, and generated a new PRT (attached).

EDIT:  I mirrored an existing user's setup, only with blf included in the extended functions.  And re-ran the PRT, since the functions in the Line Keys were all over the place from the testing Support was doing.

I see the Extended Functions configured as below:

<Extended_Function_2_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=4740@$PROXY;ext=4740</Extended_Function_2_>
<Extended_Function_3_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=500@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=Test 2</Extended_Function_3_>
 <Extended_Function_4_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=500001@specialsands.uotcn.net;ext=466@specialsands.uotcn.net;nme=Test 3</Extended_Function_4_>
 <Extended_Function_5_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466001@specialsands.uotcn.net;ext=466@specialsands.uotcn.net;nme=Test 4</Extended_Function_5_>
 <Extended_Function_6_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466001@specialsands.uotcn.net;ext=50001@specialsands.uotcn.net;nme=John D.</Extended_Function_6_>
<Unit_1_Key_1_ ua="na">fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=474001@$PROXY;ext=474001</Unit_1_Key_1_>

I see you are using multiple subscription URIs
4740@$PROXY - Server says this URI is not found/configured on server

500@$PROXY - Server sends NOTIFY with terminated/idle status. But is "466@specialsands.uotcn.net" part of this? I don't see 466 in the NOTIFY while you have given it in the config.

500001@specialsands.uotcn.net - Server says this URI is not found/configured on server

466001@specialsands.uotcn.net - No logs in PRT. I think PRT was taken before SUBSCRIBE went for these.

474001@$PROXY - Server sends status in NOTIFY for 474001@specialsands.uotcn.net but in config you have specified just 474001.

I would suggest you get in touch with the service provider and get the correct subscription URIs and exts  that you need to subscribe to. It would be easier for us to figure out when we have the right information to start with.

Thanks.

I'm a little hazy on the subscription id/account/uri/etc.  And the provider's Support, I get the feeling, is in the same boat.  While they're incredibly helpful, and have been working on this with me, they asked me to let them know what the solution is, if I figure it out.

So, if I have 2 phones:

- UserID = 500001

- Extension = 500

Phone [B] - the phone I'm wanting to see the 'busy' status of (belongs to John Doe).

- UserID = 466001

- Extension = 466

Should it be:

1. | fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=500001@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D.

or

2. | fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466001@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D.

or

3. | [something else entirely]

I'm assuming it's probably the 3rd option, because options 1 & 2 yield the same perpetually blinking amber lights.
I'm also starting to doubt whether or not the server is configured for such behavior, since I have no access to it to verify, and the Support Techs' testing didn't seem to indicate that they were aware of any server configurations that were done, or needed to be done.

- UserID = 500001

- Extension = 500

- UserID = 466001

- Extension = 466

With this config, I will suggest the following (This is with the assumption that the Service Provider has configured Subscription URIs this way).

You can try and see if it works:

Ext 1 - Private line registered as 500001

Ext 2 - Disabled.

Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

Thanks.

Just guessing, but ...

Wrong: Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

Correct: Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

@Dan Lukes wrote:

Just guessing, but ...

Wrong: Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

Correct: Extended Function 2 - fnc=blf+sd+cp;sub=466@$PROXY;ext=466@$PROXY;nme=John D

Correct, just the one '@' symbol.

ALSO - tried to edit my initial post to say thank you to both you guys for all the help, but it wouldn't let me - something about the label not belonging here?  I don't know...but, I do know that if it wasn't for @bijpraka and @Dan Lukes, I'd have probably beat my head against the desk until there was no more desk...or head...so THANK YOU! Tremendously!

Glad it worked for you. Happy to help :)

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: