Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block 911 Emergency calls through Cisco Jabber MRA

Hello,

We have Expressway C & E servers and the Cisco Jabber MRA feature has been deployed for all the employees. All of our users have laptop and they use Jabber on their windows and on their Android phones.

Since MRA is allowed, they are able to register the Jabber from outside network and from the phone services, they are allowed to make outbound calls  through Jabber.

We wanted to specifically block the 911 calls only through MRA. Is their a way I can apply any policy on the Expressway servers or on CUCM to block only 911 calls and allow all other calls. 

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards,

Madhusudhan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Depending on version of Expressway you can implement device mobility to identify when devices come across MRA by defining device mobility info matching the IP addresses of your Expressway C nodes.  This however changed in version 8.8 or 8.9 where you now see an actual IP address of the remote device instead of the Exp-C address.

So, your only other option would be to have different CSSes at the device (not DN) level, but that will impact calls from the Jabber devices when they are at the office as well vs. only across MRA.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am guessing the user's desk phone and CSF device shared the same extension?

in which case you could use the device CSS to route emergency calls and stick your CSF in a second device CSS that does not contain emergency calls.

Please rate if this helps

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Dennis, Thanks for looking into this. Yes, the user Desk phone and the CSF device uses the same extension (Shared).

I would need the CSF device to call the 911 number when the user is in office and block the 911 call when they are connected via MRA.

As per your suggestion, if I use different CSS, then even when user in office the 911 calls will be blocked.

Depending on version of Expressway you can implement device mobility to identify when devices come across MRA by defining device mobility info matching the IP addresses of your Expressway C nodes.  This however changed in version 8.8 or 8.9 where you now see an actual IP address of the remote device instead of the Exp-C address.

So, your only other option would be to have different CSSes at the device (not DN) level, but that will impact calls from the Jabber devices when they are at the office as well vs. only across MRA.

Just saw a CiscoLive video where they say that with current latest version of CUCM 11.5(1)SU2 it supposedly should show Exp-C address instead of the actual IP address.

BRKUCC-2801 - Enabling External Collaboration and Federation with Expressway (2017 Berlin)

at about 1:24

Look into device mobility, that might be able to help you out:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/77096/device-mobility

that way you can apply different CSS based on the Ip address of the endpoint

PLease rate of useful

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Dennis,

Device mobility is good solution as I suggested as long as your are on specific (older) Expressway, once you go to the latest Cisco "enhanced" what is provided as the IP address of the MRA registered device and device mobility option goes out of the window as you will see IP addresses all over the place, most potentially overlapping with each other and other on-prem phones depending on what the local LAN phone/Jabber is connected to is configured for.

Alok Jaiswal
Level 4
Level 4

Have you tried call policy on Expressway ? It can be done with call policy i guess.

Regards,

Alok

Alok, what call policy are you referring to?

Hi Chris,

I am referring to Call Policy on Expressway. I have never used it for MRA calls, but i used it a lot to block unwanted calls.

-Alok 

If you are referring to Search Rules those do not apply to MRA calls. MRA allows devices to register across Expressway, and all calls from those devices are already trusted and controlled by CUCM. Search rules pertain to external B2B calls.

No, i am not referring to search rules. I am referring rules under call policy section.

I know the device registered to CUCM via expressway is treated as authenticated, but i am assuming that call policy can still be written. As mentioned earlier i never tested putting up policy on MRA calls earlier though.

I played with it on Last Saturday with no luck .May be it require more time but i don't have any at the moment to test. 

Regards,

Alok

Chris,

I have Expressway C& E servers running on X8.7.2. I think we can do it on this version based on the recommendation that you provided.

HARIS_HUSSAIN
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am using 8.8.3 Expressway and I can see that My MRA Jabber phones register with  Exp-C IP.

CUCM Version is 11.0.1.22900-14. So i believe we can use the Device Mobility option as long as Phone Register with Exp-C IP.

Thanks

haris

I wanted to add to this, just in case someone is finding these messages, just like I am...

I am using x12.7.1 Expressway, and I can see that my MRA Jabber phones register with Expressway-C IP addresses as well.

@CUCM Version is 12.5.1.14900-63.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: