cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block SRST MoH on switch trunk port

ajenks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I currently stream MOH from 2821 router on remote sites (during normal operation)

Currently this router terminates the WAN link as well as providing PSTN breakout and SRST functions etc.

A new WAN provider will soon be installing their own router to terminate a new WAN link, and I will hand-off to them via a trunked switch port (from a 3560). The 2981 will then become a PSTN breakout / SRST resource only (not 'routing' traffic).

My question is a) would this multicast MoH traffic from my 2821 potentially go across that trunked link and if so 2) what is the best way of blocking it. I know there are several mechanisms for controlling multicast traffic but I am not sure which is relevant here (my objective being to stop this traffic traversing the WAN by stopping it leaving my switch port).

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will go to the other router if it routes the same VLAN as the source of the multicast, it will not go beyond that router as it would not be considered as interesting traffic on different VLAN unless you extend the PIM. So, the mulicast traffic will only stay on the voice vlan as desired.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: