Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk change VG224 lines

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Is there a way to bulk change VG224 lines?  I would like to extend No Answer Ring Durration for about 400 lines, but I can't seem to pull them up in Bulk Administration.  I am using CUCM 8.0.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

If you can't do it via BAT, then you'd need to look at using the SQL interface. You can do almost anything via this: Including trashing your CUCM DB

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

I don't use BAT, so I can't help there. For bulk work, I tend to use the SQL console interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cli_ref/8_6_1/cli_ref_861.html#wp39876

GTG

No. But I do have the 600-page data dictionary PDF on my desktop . (I do a fair bit of writing custom CUCM apps) The database has a fair amount of protection within in (strong referential integrity, query throttling, etc) But it won't stop you running a DELETE query where you've missed off the WHERE clause . Oh, and there's no transaction support to help you either. (well, not that's exposed to us mere mortals...)

Providing you're sensible, and test on your dev CUCM, it's not too bad.

GTG

11 Replies 11

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

If you can't do it via BAT, then you'd need to look at using the SQL interface. You can do almost anything via this: Including trashing your CUCM DB

GTG

That's interesting.  My understanding is that CUCM these days uses Informix.  With respect to BAT, can you detail what would be involved?

I don't use BAT, so I can't help there. For bulk work, I tend to use the SQL console interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cli_ref/8_6_1/cli_ref_861.html#wp39876

GTG

Wow, that's actually pretty interesting.  There it is; running SQL statements on the CLI.  If this "run sql " command allows for editing tables and entries, it sounds like it can cause more trouble than is worth.  Have you had any problems in your shop as a result of using this method?

No. But I do have the 600-page data dictionary PDF on my desktop . (I do a fair bit of writing custom CUCM apps) The database has a fair amount of protection within in (strong referential integrity, query throttling, etc) But it won't stop you running a DELETE query where you've missed off the WHERE clause . Oh, and there's no transaction support to help you either. (well, not that's exposed to us mere mortals...)

Providing you're sensible, and test on your dev CUCM, it's not too bad.

GTG

Oh, I see where you're coming from (helps explain how you would recommend making database changes directly via CLI).  No, this is definitely not a practical method for day to day things (I do some work in MySQL, so I understand what you're saying.)  Yes, I would like to avoid a situation whereby I can accidentally blow away an entire table by forgetting a clause after a long day of staring at a screen. 

However, I was not aware of this direct manipulation of data.  Fascinating.  I can't use this approach but I'm glad you mentioned it

Gordon,

One question - I've not worked with any databases outside of MySQL, but it sounds like other RDBMs are able to handle standard SQL queries, correct?  That sounds really handy since you can write one set of queries and make it portable between multiple platforms, no?

Sorry, don't understand what you're saying/asking.

GTG

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Shikamarunara,

Wow! Gordon has given you some great insights here (as usual +5 "G" )

If you don't want to go that route and blow up the dB like I would likely do

Have you tried BAT>Phones>Add/Update Lines>Query if you have anything common

you can search on like Device Pool for these VG's you would be good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hey Rob,

Good to hear from you again.  How's the weather up there

I tried updating the lines in Bulk Administration the same as I would any line, but for some reason FXS lines do not show up in the query.  Struck me as odd.  Unfortunately, I can't search based on device pool because the search isn't narrow enough.  Can you update VG224 lines with Bulk Administration on your system?

Ahochau
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, 6 years late but I knew I had done this before but couldn't remember how, found this post in the search.  I've used this method from v8 on.

1) Bulk Admin Export all Gateways, download the TAR ball,

2) extract gateway.csv

3) Open gateway.csv using Excel or Calc, set the type for all cells to text,

4) remove all gateway ports and types from the CSV that are not needed (FXO, PRI, H323 etc).  You can delete the columns not needed, check for syntax errors (#NAME can go away)

5) modify all the cells that need to be updated

6) save the updated gateway.csv

7) open the CSV in a text editor (notepad++, gedit) and remove all the extra commas

8) open the tar ball, remove the gateway.csv from the tar ball and add your updated gateway.csv

9) upload the new tar ball to bulk admin Import

10) import the changes overwriting existing  configuration

11) check the errors, spot check imports for the updated.

Hope this helps someone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: