cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk Deployment Utility & 7925G wireless phones...

John.Gerlach
Level 1
Level 1

I had a hard time determining the best location to post this one since this has components in wireless, IPT, and authentication.  But the root of my problem is actually a time issue.  If there is a better area to post this please let me know.

We have begun to test the Cisco 7925G wireless phones on our network and are looking forward to deploying them en masse.  There is a Bulk Deployment Utility that looks like it meets our needs and the general idea is to easily connect to the wireless network, pull down and apply a template generated by the Bulk Deployment Utility from a TFTP server, and restart the phone.  When the phone restarts it would be configured to connect to the production wireless voice network and should authenticate with the stored profile credentials in the template that was applied.  After completing authentication the phone would contact the Call Manager in the DHCP scope and should begin downloading firmware to replace the MFG firmware the new units are shipping with.  This is the part that fails and from what I can tell it is because the wireless authentication is failing since the date on a newly powered up phone is 02/01/00.  I am able to work around this by connecting the phone to a PC via the USB interface, browsing to the phone, entering the default admin credentials, and changing the time and date.  After I do that, then the wireless authentication is able to complete and the the new firmware from the Call Manager is downloaded, the phone reboots and completes the connection to the Call Manager.

Has anyone had to deal with a situation like this?  If I can find a way for the 7925G to update its time to a time server or Cisco switch I believe everything would work exactly the way we were hoping.  And I did try using option 4 in the DHCP scope to see if I could grab a current time from a Microsoft Domain Controller but that didn't seem to get referenced or used.

We are hoping that we can avoid manually touching each phone just to set the time.  We will need to be doing this to add in per-device credentials but it would be a big timesaver if we could just power on 10 phones and walk away for a while and just have to enter in the final credentials later.

Thanks.

17 Replies 17

John:  Yep--using the WLANDefault.xml with the same configuration going to each phone using Profile 1.  Manually rebooted the phone and it just repeated the process of the TFTP download as I see the file sent from TFTP.

Ven:  I guess I could try the Bulk Export, but that is an extra step when all the phones utilize the same configuration.  These are fresh-out-out-of-the-box phones too.

I'll see what else I do this evening on this...

Just a follow up in case anyone else runs into this issue:  As I stated before, I saw the WLAND.xml file being sent by the TFTP server, but the configuration was not changing from the phone default config.  And the the process would repeat and repeat.

I checked and rechecked network configurations, my TFTP, everything you could think of and had no answers.  As a test, I copied the Ringlist.xml file from the CUCM server to verify that the files were in fact transferring, and I proved that it was.  Therefore, it must be a problem with the xml file.  I even attempted the Bulk Export option with the same results.  When I attempted to open the original config file, it said I was using an invalid password. I recreated the file, closed it and opened it with the same result!  So, I moved the file to another machine, installed the utility there, and got the same result with that file.  I created another one from scratch on the new box, moved it to the TFTP server, and all of the sudden--Downloading Firmware!!  The only difference between the two boxes--the "other" box is XP and my box is Windows 7!!

I had never closed the original configuration file, and made changes, re-exported in different ways, etc, etc.  So, either that file was corrupt from the get-go, or the 792x Bulk Deployment utility doesn't work right on Windows 7.  That'll be a test for another day as I am over this thing for now!!!

Thanks for your input Ven and John!

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Glad to hear it's working for you. Just goes to show how finicky this product is.

Ven

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ven Taylor
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: