Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk upload on 6921 phones

Manoj Malhi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

I’m working of a IPT rollout project at the moment.  I  have a question on BAT, what is the best way to install new phones and users.

1. Phones are already installed and have obtained  Auto-registration, an ip address and it has it's MAC address registered in Call Manager.

2. I need to use BAT to change the call search  space and other generic criteria. We have tried doing this, however once  the phones have been updated via BAT it loses its auto-registration and we get no dial tone.

3.If we change the CSS from our new site back to auto-registration CSS we get the dial tone.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Manoj

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. If you configure a phone manually with the CSS and other changes you want, does it work?

2. If not, then change one property, then reset the phone, test and then repeat until you have made all your changes or it breaks. When it breaks you have found the problem.

3. If it works when you configure manually, can you detail the process you are doing with BAT?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for your reply:

1. If you configure a phone manually with the CSS and other changes you want, does it work? Yes, if I update the a phone manually it works just fine.

2.  If not, then change one property, then reset the phone, test and then  repeat until you have made all your changes or it breaks. When it breaks  you have found the problem.

3. If it works when you configure manually, can you detail the process you are doing with BAT?

1. Phones already installed with auto reg, we get a dial tone.

2. we create a phone template:

Description: cisco6921

Device Pool*: site_DP

Phone Button Template*: Standard 6921 SCCP

Calling Search Space: Site_CSS

Location*: Site_Location

Device Security Profile*: Cisco 6921 – Standard SCCP Non-Secure Profile

Configure line with "Line 1"

3. We create a text file using the tool:

Mac address

Description

Bulk Administration>Upload/Download Files

File*: Browse to the location of your file

Target Phones> Insert Phones – Specific Details Overwrite file if it exists

Click Save

Go the Bulk Administration>Select Phones>Select Insert Phones

Check the Insert Phones Specific Details box

File Name*: Cisco 6921 Test

Override the existing Configuration

**Please note before we run the job, we delete the existing phones that are installed in Call Manger (within device>phones).**

Check the Run Immediately

7. Check Job Scheduler for error.

In my case everything looks ok, in Call Manager, all details uploaded across fine, however when checking the phones itself, we cannot see the auto registered number and get no dial tone.

We have kept changes to a minimum, to keep thing simple.

Thanks

I see...

Basically when you open the BAT spreadsheet it only shows the dev name/description columns.

This is not enough for an import.  The idea is that the template contains standard configuration, and you override those configuration elements as required using BAT. If you just have device name and description, all the resulting phones will have identical configuration, and you haven't specified Directory Numbers for the phones.

What you need to do is:

1) Download bat.xlt from Upload/Download under Bulk Admin. Open bat.xlt. If you are on a modern version of Excel, watch for a message saying Macros are disabled like so:

If you see that, you must enable the macro by clicking options or going into the security settings in Excel.

2) Once that's done,  you can click on 'Create File Format'. This presents a dialog that allows you to specify fields to include. At a minimum you would typically include a 'Directory NUmber' (i.e. extension number).

3) In your Phone Template, I would normally call the line 'Standard' where you would normally enter a DN. When you use the BAT export with a file containing a 'Directory Number 1' column it will default to getting all the properties you set on the template, but creating a directory number for each phone as you list the DNs in the sheet.

You may also want to add CSS or Line CSS to the sheet to insert different calling restrictions per user, or Display to insert display names etc etc. Play with it:-)

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks for that, however I'm doing what you have suggested already.

Having played with it today, we just need phones to have "auto-reg" with "extension mobility" in the appropriate CSS - manually it works, however via BAT still no joy.

Thanks again

Hi

If your input CSV to cucm just has : Mac address,Description as you described above you are not doing what I have suggested.

Aaron

These are the fields we have populated:

Thanks

OK - and what does your phone template look like?