Views
Helpful
Replies

Bytes Per Packet Formula

jaimedrq1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends:

I would like any could help me whit this subject, because I am turning crazy!

In the bytes per packet formula, it says: bytesperpacket=(samplesize(s)*bandwith_codec(bps))/8.

For example, with codec G.729 (8000 bps), the result will be: (0.02s*8000)/8=20 bpp.

I don't understand this formula, and I believe that I have reasons for this:

If the sample has 20 ms (0.02 ms), and the bandwith of the codec is 8000 bps, I would take one sample every 20 ms, so, in one second, I would have 50 samples.

The codec has 8 bits for every sample, so for 50 samples, it would have 50*8=400 bits per packet, and if I divide it by 8 (absurd...) I have 50 bytes per packet, don't 20...

I believe I am having a fix between the cuantization and the compression, but I don't have clean the rol of the codec working in bps, I would understand better if it works saying how many bits compress the packet.

Thank you everybody.

Sorry my ignorance, but I am new in the voice world...

Greetings.

Jaime.

1 Reply 1

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think sample size may be throwing you off - it's actually 10ms per sample and we place 2 samples in one packet(that's where 20ms comes from.)

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: