Views
Helpful
Replies

CAC with Hub_None Location

hoanghiep
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

In Cisco document, they say that "Hub_None—The Hub_None location specifies unlimited audio bandwidth and unlimited video bandwidth. A device that associates with the Hub_None location allows an unlimited number of active calls to or from the device"

So if we use Hub_None location for, let say, a Voice GW in central site, and we use another location (Location_A, 384kpbs) for phones in site A, there will be no restriction for number of calls from phones in site A to the voice GW?

Can someone explain this Hub_none location for me? As I think the CAC based on Location_A configuration will take effect (no more than 4 G711 calls from site A to the Voice GW in my example)

Thanks,

hoanghiep.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I am sure 1 is correct - Cisco docs are kind of fuzzy on this one.

G.

View solution in original post

Hi

Each call has a source and a destination. If a Site A user is in Loc_A, the call originates from Loc_A, and if the gateway is in Hub_None, then the destination is hub_none.

The system then evaluates the call as it leaves both locations - so it checks hub_none (which is unlimited, and is therefore OK) and checks Loc_A (which permits a max of 4 calls). Therefore you can have up to 4 calls.

For example - if you also had Loc_B with a max of 3 calls, then you would be able to have a max of 3 calls from Loc_B to hub_none, or 3 calls to Loc_A (as Loc_B has a max of 3 calls which is the more restrictive of the two - 4 for Loc_A, 3 for Loc_B). Note that this is cumulative as well, so if you have two existing calls from Loc_A to the voice gateway, you can only have two more from Loc_A to any other location.

So in short - your '1' is correct, as both the source and destination locations are evaluated and if either does not permit another call then it does not go ahead.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Gergely Szabo
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

well, it's kind of confusing, but actually, it's easy.

If you have "Hub_none" set as your Location on your device, then the Location set on your Device Pool level takes precedence (meaning if you have DP_Something set as your Device Pool and Hub_none as your Location set on your phone, then whatever is set as the Location for DP_Something, will be applied to the phone). Of course, if LOC_Something is set on the device, it takes precedence.

Regarding your example: if you want to have unlimited bandwidth, you should set both devices' Locations to Hub_None (unless you have set "Unlimited" for Location_A <-> Hub_none).

G.

Hi Gergely,

I meant the Hub_None is the actual location assigned to the gateway (configured in both gateway and device pool). And if this is the case, we will not have CAC from other sites to the central site (central site is configured with Hub_None location), right?

Thanks,

hoanghiep

Hi,

well, it depends on what devices this gateway is talking to - if both parties are set to Hub_None, then locationswise, it's the same location and if you don't have a really exotic setup or RSVP then no, it's no CAC.

G.

Hi Gergely,

Here is the setting:

Voice gateway: location Hub_None

Phones: location Loc_A (configured 384kpbs)

Codec used: G711 (80kpbs for 1 call)

1. Based on my understanding, from site A, users can only make 384/80 = 4,8 (4 calls) to the Voice GW.

2. But based on Cisco documentation of Hub_None location, there is no limit in the number of calls to and from voice gateway. So from site A, users can make unlimited calls to voice GW. (don't talk about the E1 trunks from GW here)

so 1 is correct or 2 is correct?

Thanks,

hoanghiep

Hi, I am sure 1 is correct - Cisco docs are kind of fuzzy on this one.

G.

Hi

Each call has a source and a destination. If a Site A user is in Loc_A, the call originates from Loc_A, and if the gateway is in Hub_None, then the destination is hub_none.

The system then evaluates the call as it leaves both locations - so it checks hub_none (which is unlimited, and is therefore OK) and checks Loc_A (which permits a max of 4 calls). Therefore you can have up to 4 calls.

For example - if you also had Loc_B with a max of 3 calls, then you would be able to have a max of 3 calls from Loc_B to hub_none, or 3 calls to Loc_A (as Loc_B has a max of 3 calls which is the more restrictive of the two - 4 for Loc_A, 3 for Loc_B). Note that this is cumulative as well, so if you have two existing calls from Loc_A to the voice gateway, you can only have two more from Loc_A to any other location.

So in short - your '1' is correct, as both the source and destination locations are evaluated and if either does not permit another call then it does not go ahead.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron and Gergely for your replies.

So good I have the same thought as yours.

To be sure, I think I will try the scenario in my lab.

Rgds,

hoanghiep.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: