cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Fwd Unregistered vs. AAR

zebranutz80
Level 1
Level 1

I have a centralized telephony environment with CUCM8.6 running at our HQ.  We have a dozen branch sites that connect via MetroE back to HQ for call handling.  The Branch sites use SRST in the event of a WAN outage.  Each branch site has a few PSTN lines connected to FXO ports on a 2921 router. 

In the event of a WAN outage at a branch site, I'd like to keep calls flowing from HQ to the branch site.  Rerouting calls to the PSTN is the obvious answer.  I'm looking for a suggestion as to how to best accomplish that. 

I've tested Call Fwd Unregistered(CFU) to a PSTN line at the branch site.  This worked perfectly.  However, I don't want to have to change every extension's CFU setting.  I'm looking for a global setting that will forward a particular sites calls to a PSTN number in the event of a WAN outage.

Is AAR the answer?  I've read that CUCM can not detect an outage and AAR would not apply.  I understood my readings to say that AAR only works when there is not enough available bandwidth.  As a WAN outage =  zero bandwidth, I would think AAR should apply in this situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions to my scenerio?  What have you seen work best?

Thanks for your help!

-tom

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom,

Forward on unregistered is your solution. AAR kicks in only when Call Admission Control invokes it after designated bandwidth to the location has been exhausted.

So, these are 2 comptely different features sets which are commonly confused.

HTH,

Chris

Thank you Chris.  That confirms what I thought. 

Now that I know that CFU is the answer, I'm looking for a way to not have to change 75 extensions.  I can use BAT, but wanted to ask if there was a better way.  Perhaps a setting on the gateway or device pool config???

Hi Zebra,

The easiest way is use Bulk administration tool.

Regards

Please rate all useful posts
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles.

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: