cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler / Forwarder issue help

Kent Drugge
Level 1
Level 1

I have a department, users (15) with 7925G phones. Sometimes, they get out of range. The idea was, make a call handler, when user get out of range (unregistered) the Forward Unregistered would forward to the call handler. I made a call hander, I call it direct, it works great. I cannot get the device line to forward to the call handler, even if I select Forward all. Unity answers. The phones do not have voicemail. I made a Forward routing rule to send calls to the call handler. Not working either.  And the Call Forwarder on the line does have CSS set. Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

How are you configuring the call forward? By ticking the Voice Mail option near the 'Unregistered Forward' / 'Forward Al'' options or you putting some number that you have a route pattern to it to the Unity SIP trunk? Because if you're ticking the 'Voice Mail' option, you must configure the System Call Handler with the number of the DN that is forwarding to it. Otherwise, it doesn't know how to reach the custom call handler you created.

If you want one call handler for all of the users, you can consider using 'Call Management -> Call Routing -> Forwarded Routing Rules' option in Unity Connection, and there you can state all the 15 DN numbers in one rule and transfer them to one specific system call handler. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

How are you configuring the call forward? By ticking the Voice Mail option near the 'Unregistered Forward' / 'Forward Al'' options or you putting some number that you have a route pattern to it to the Unity SIP trunk? Because if you're ticking the 'Voice Mail' option, you must configure the System Call Handler with the number of the DN that is forwarding to it. Otherwise, it doesn't know how to reach the custom call handler you created.

If you want one call handler for all of the users, you can consider using 'Call Management -> Call Routing -> Forwarded Routing Rules' option in Unity Connection, and there you can state all the 15 DN numbers in one rule and transfer them to one specific system call handler. 

Slavik,

Yes, this worked. The system is rather new to me. I had the right idea, but I didn't have it programmed correctly.

Thanks !

Slavik,

I set this up with one extension, tested and it works great, but when I add more extensions, it just goes to unity, not the call handler ?

Edit Forwarded Routing Rule Condition > Edit Routing Rule Condition = Dialed Number in 6270

The rule is set to Send Call to Call Handler 'name' Go Directly to Greetings

It is the top rule  in my Forwarded Routing Rules list

Oh, I see the issue already.

It is because you need to configure in your Routing Rule Condition, "Forwarding Station" and not "Dialed Number". And it is very simple to understand, because you're not dialing to 6270, but you're forwarding from 6270 to Unity. It is more clear when you see the SIP message itself, because the INVITE message isn't coming with the dialed number 6270, but with the Voice Mail Pilot. But in one of the SIP headers (can't recall which one) you can see the the extension that is referring / forwarding to it.

But if for example, you had a route pattern of 6270 in your CUCM and you were really actually dialed it, so the "Dialed Number" condition would work. But it isn't what you want and need.

Hope it helped. ;)

Actually I went through the options (calling, dialed, forwarding) to see if it made a difference. I switched them to Forwarding and after adding a 2nd extension to the list, the calls hit Unity, not my call handler ? 

It is because you configure the a second condition in the same "Forwarded Routing Rule". You must create a separate "Forwarded Routing Rule" for each extension.

When you configured 2 conditions in the same forwarded routing rule, both rules are checked with AND operator. So if first condition was DN = 1234, and the second condition was DN = 4321, so it is checking when a call forwarded to Unity has: (DN = 1234 AND DN = 4321), which is impossible in your case.

It is used for example if you want to make your search more advance, like checking when the forwarded DN is 1234, AND schedule equals to one of your schedules. Just an example. 

Hi Slavik,

The tech sitting next to me was hearing my frustrations. We tried a few things and then he was asking, what does Forwarding Station "IN" mean ? so, I made the noob choice to click the Help button. I did not realize for the DN you can enter a Range. So then you don't need multiple forwarder rules. In my case I put 6261-6275 and it works perfect, thanks to your help working with me. I appreciate you sticking with it with me.

Thanks !

NICE! Thanks for sharing the info, because I didn't know myself that I can do it with a range. I thought always that the "IN" option is like "CONTAINS", so if for example my DN is 6261, and I choose "IN" and write this value: "626" It'll catch it, but now I understand it is not like I thought. Cool ;)

Anyway, I am glad that now it is all working!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: