Views
Helpful
Replies

Call History - Unknown Numbers

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

This is my first post on here. I have an issue with some internal numbers in the call history displaying unknown. I have done quite a lot of troublshooting and testing on this issue and have located what is causing the problem but have yet to find a fix.

The calls in question are internal within the same cluster but it seems to be a Global issue across all clusters so i suspect its a setting am missing somewhere.

• Extensions Globally are 7 digits ( 3 digit office code + last 4 digits of DID )
  • Calls to other offices whether it be to an office in the same cluster or another cluster use all 7 digts
  • Calls within the same office use 4 digit dialling ( last 4 digits of extension ), the 4 digits are tranlated to 7 digits using a tandard trnslation pattern.
  • When using 7 digits Alerting name and Display name are correct when dialing and also in call history whether this be an answered or missed call.
  • When using 4 digits Alerting name and Dislay name are also correct when dialing. When answered call history displays correct, however when the call is not answered or goes to voicemail the calling phone call history displays unknown for these calls.

So it seems to be any call that gos through the translation pattern and isnt answered displays unknown in the call history of he calling phone.

Phones used are Cisco 8961 SIP. CUCM versions are 8.0 , 8.5 and 8.6 so not specific to 1 version.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Carl

14 Replies 14

Tapan Dutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Interesting!

Do you happen to see the Calling Number when the phone is Ringing for unanswered calls ? Is the FROM field populated?

Tapan

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have the display settings on the translation patten set to restricted?

HTH Regards, Yosh

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all

Alerting name and display are correct in both directions for calling and called number. It is also correct in call history when the call has connected.

It shows unknown in call history only on calling phone when 4 digits are dialed and translated via translation pattern to 7 digits are and the call is not connected or goes to voice mail.

Thanks, Carl

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

looks like a Buggy Behaviour. Can you please upgrade/downgrade firmware on one of the phone and test.

Alternatively open a TAC case!

Tapan

Thanks for your response. I am going to open a TAC case however i dont suspect this to be a bug as we have 3 different CUCM clusters on different 8.x versions and each cluster has different phone firmware.

I will let you know the outcome, thanks for your time.

Carl

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all

This issue is currently being looked at by cisco tac and has been for a few days now. The issue has further been narrowed down through recommended testing with the information going back to cisco tac.

Firmware was upgraded to several different versions, same result for all. Next sccp phones were used, these worked correctly so pointed towards using cisco sip phones. Then to confirm ip communicator was used with sip, didn't work, changed to sccp and all worked.

Problem is we have over 3000 cisco 8961 which are sip only so if anyone has any ideas whilst we wait for cisco tac that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Carl

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Carl,

If we are using multiple phone models and seeing this with sip phones, it looks like a bug. What all phone models have we tested this with so far?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Regards, Avinash

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

This was identified as a bug :

CSCts80325 Bug Details

Updating Placed Call History on SIP Phones for intra-cluster calls

Symptom: SIP phones such as 9971 might show display name as "Unknown" in the Placed Call History even when the called party has a valid display-name.

Conditions: This is observed when the digits dialed by the phone user does not match the connected party's number due to call forwarding or number translation.

Workaround: None

Fixed In:
9.0(1.10000.15)
9.0(1.10000.37)
8.6(2.23900-10)
8.6(2.22900.2)
8.6(2.22900.9)
8.6(2.22044.1)

I've got the same issue with CUCM 10.0.1.11900-2 calling CUCM 8.5.1.11900 on SIP phones running firmware 9-4-1SR1-2. Seems like this is an ongoing issue with inter-cluster calls

Addy

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Hi ,

I have a similar ish problem.We have just split out one office on to its own cluster.We have aSIP trunk between the two clusters , but have noticed that the placed call history is not displaying the name.

I believe I have the same issue as the number the callers dial is 7 digits translated down to 4 digits.However this occurs on all phones including 79xx sccp phones so I'm guessing its the SIP trunk that's introducing the issue , also we're running 8.6.2.22900.9 (SU2)  which I believed to contain fixes.

Anyone seen anything similiar

Is the CLID shown on the called phone while ringing? The issue that I had was where the CLID is shown on the called phone, but when you go to call history, it showed unknown instead of the name of the person.

If it's not showing the CLID at all (even whilst ringing), the issue could be on the SIP Trunk configuration.

Addy

Nope it definitely shows when ringing , just not in the placed calls

I would say it's a bug then. It's exactly as what was happening to us. Luckily for us, the two CUCM clusters were only temporary.

Addy

Hi, the bug does state that its fixed in the version you are running, we upgraded to System version: 8.6.2.23900-10 a while back and this

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe