Views
Helpful
Replies

Call ID Transformation on CUCM for outbound calls

happyatuni
Level 1
Level 1

Dear NetPro gurus,

My client has a request where when they make any outbound calls to mobiles, they want to system to automatically prepend 18875 in front of all outbound calls to mobile calls, yet this prefix code of 18875 won't show up on User's Cisco Phones (so that the users don't get confused that they dialed any calls with 018875XXXXXXXXXX out)

In other words:-

Say an user wants to dial my mobile - 0478488565, with an additional 0 for outside line.  Normally, the user will need to dial 00478488565 to reach my mobile from any Cisco phones.

What my client wants is that:-

1.  When an user dials 00478488565, the called number will become 188750478488565 before it heads out the Cisco Voice Gateway towards PSTN.

2.  At the same time, the user's Cisco Phone will still needs to show the called number as 00478488565, rather than 188750478488565 or 0188750478488565 because the user will then get confused.

Is this possible?

Would greatly appreciated if someone can shed some light on this as i have spent a lot of time on this but couldn't get it to work.

Cheers,

Hunt

11 Replies 11

Yes it's possible, you need to do the DDI and prefix on the RL/RG details level, so you'll probably want to create a separate RL used for mobile calls so that only these are affected by the prefix.

Then on the RP used to match calls to mobile phones you set the DDI to "NoDigits", this will affect what is seen on the display of the calling phone.

If you use MGCP as your VGW control protocol then you should be all done, but if you use H.323 you also need to add this to you IOS config.

voice service voip
  no supplementary-service h225-notify cid-update

For a SIP VGW I'm not sure if you need to add any configuration in IOS, have never used SIP for PSTN connectivity, or for that matter if it's even a problem as with H.323. Maybe someone else can chip in?

Please rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

For SIP this might work, but I haven't tested it myself.

voice service voip

sip

no update-callerid

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Response Signature

Roger,

We use this in  our CUBE and you dont need to do anything on the SIP gateway. Once the digit manipulation is done on the RL/RG level, the end user does not see the manipulatated number.

However I need to point out that there will be a need to configure dial-peers to match the translated number from CUCM.

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for the update about the behaviour in SIP aokanlawon (+5)

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Response Signature

Roger, (+5)

Thanks for the appreciation. Excellent job you are doing on the forum. Well done! 

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for your explanation.

May i ask what is DDI and can you elaborate a bit more on what i need to set in order to get the DDI to work? And can you please point me to the right place on where to set this DDI as i can't find it anywhere on RL nor RG page.

Also, since the H.323 Voice Gateways are shared by all of client's phones, what does this command "no supplementary-service h225-notify cid-update" do? Will this hide / impact the Caller ID for all other phones?

Cheers,

Hunt

Sure, no problem at all.

But to provide you with a better answer to your question, could you please share your present RP, RL, RG & GW setup in CUCM that are used to route the before mentioned call? In as much detail as possible, espesially include the exact pattern used, with dot for discard digit instruction (DDI). If you use called party transformation pattern in this specific call flow that should also be included.

It would be good if you could post your pots dial peer used on your H.323 GW to route this specific destination pattern out to your Telco.

That would make it possible to provide you with a detailed answer to your question.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

I have a Translation Pattern in CUCM that whenever any user dials a mobile number, it would prepend 18875 to it.

My test mobile is 0478488565, and needs an extra 0 in front for an 'outside line', so it becomes 00478488565

1.  Translation Pattern - 00478XXXXXX

Called Party Transformation

Discard Digits - None

Called Party Transform Mask - 018875XXXXXXXXXX

i have a Route Pattern specifically for this 18875 call

2.  Route Pattern - 0.18875XXXXXXXXXX

Discard Digits - None

Called Party Transform Mask - Empty

This Route Pattern then get point to a Route List called RL_USYD_OCV_PSTN

3.  Route List - RL_USYD_OCV_PSTN

Discard Digits - None

This Route List contains only 1 x Route Group called RG_USYD_OCV_VG

4.   Route Group - RG_USYD_OCV_VG

Discard Digits - None

This Route Group only has 1 x Voice Gateway as member - 172.31.254.52 (br-a12-4v)

5.   Voice Gateway - 172.31.254.52 (br-a12-4v)

On the Voice Gateway (br-a12-4v), it has the following dial peer to pass outbound calls to PSTN

dial-peer voice 10 pots

tone ringback alert-no-PI

description Outgoing POTS dial-peer to Optus

translation-profile outgoing PSTNPrefix

destination-pattern 0T

port 0/0/1:15

And the call get pass succesfully to PSTN, as per the below debug

Oct 17 11:28:03.899: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: Applying typeplan for sw-type 0x12 is 0x0 0x0, Calling num 0286272828
Oct 17 11:28:03.899: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: Sending SETUP  callref = 0x0E13 callID = 0xA315 switch = primary-net5 interface = User
Oct 17 11:28:03.899: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: TX -> SETUP pd = 8  callref = 0x0E13
        Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A3
                Standard = CCITT
                Transfer Capability = Speech 
                Transfer Mode = Circuit
                Transfer Rate = 64 kbit/s
        Channel ID i = 0xA9839C
                Exclusive, Channel 28
        Calling Party Number i = 0x0081, '0286272828'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
        Called Party Number i = 0x80, '188750478488565'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
Oct 17 11:28:03.963: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: RX <- CALL_PROC pd = 8  callref = 0x8E13
        Channel ID i = 0xA9839C
                Exclusive, Channel 28
Oct 17 11:28:03.967: ISDN Se0/1/1:15 Q931: RX <- PROGRESS pd = 8  callref = 0x8E13
        Progress Ind i = 0x8088 - In-band info or appropriate now available

But the problem for all this is that user still sees that they dial 0188750478488565 when they initially dial 00478488565 on their Cisco Phone. 

I only want the user to see that they dial 00478488565 instead of 0188750478488565 because they will get confused.

Cheers,

Hunt

Hi Hunt,

The reason for why you see the transformation on the display is because you use a translation pattern. Any called transformation that is done on either translation pattern or route pattern will affect what is seen on the display on the phones. I have taken your excellent write-up for the call flow (+5) and modified it to fit your need.

1.  Route Pattern - 0.0478XXXXXX

Discard Digits - NoDigits

This Route Pattern point to a Route List called RL_USYD_OCV_PSTN

2.  Route List - RL_USYD_OCV_PSTN

This Route List contains only 1 x Route Group called RG_USYD_OCV_VG

3.   Route List/Route Group - RG_USYD_OCV_VG details (reached by selecting the RG link within the RL)

Discard Digits - PreDot

This Route Group only has 1 x Voice Gateway as member - 172.31.254.52 (br-a12-4v)

4.   Voice Gateway - 172.31.254.52 (br-a12-4v)

On the Voice Gateway (br-a12-4v), it has the following dial peer to pass outbound calls to PSTN

dial-peer voice 10 pots

tone ringback alert-no-PI

description Outgoing POTS dial-peer to Optus

translation-profile outgoing PSTNPrefix

destination-pattern 0T

port 0/0/1:15

The needed part in you H.323 gw to turn off update of called number.

voice service voip

This turn off signaling called number updated within h225 and affective makes the H.323 gateway mirror the behavior of an MGCP gw for this specific feature/function. Without this command a H.323 gw will signal any called number updated that is done until the outgoing dial peer level, aka num-exp (that takes place after the incoming dial peer but before the outgoing) or incoming voice translation rule applied to the incoming dial peer and any other modification that might occur before the outgoing dial peer is matched. This also includes any called party transformation done in CUCM after the RP, namely at the RL/RG details level or called party transformation patterns on the GW object CSS for this.

Best of luck with your setup.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for your detailed instructions.

While i couldn't put the transformation on the Route List level, i put it on my Route Pattern level:-

Route Pattern - 0.0478XXXXXX

Discard Digits - NoDigits

While the Route Pattern actually get translated properly, the user can still see the 0188750478488565 instead of just 0478488565 on their Cisco IP Phones.

And i have already added the command on the Cisco Voice Gateway

voice service voip

qsig decode

fax protocol pass-through g711alaw

h323

h225 display-ie ccm-compatible

modem passthrough nse codec g711alaw

sip

registrar server expires max 240 min 60

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Hunt

The reason for why you see it on the display of the phones is because you do the called party transform on the RP. Just as I wrote in my previous reply "Any called transformation that is done on either translation pattern or route pattern will affect what is seen on the display on the phones."

Why can't you do it on the route list? If it's because of that the transform also affects calls to other patterns that use this RL, then create a new RL that has the same RG as a member, do the transform on this and use the new RL for calls to mobile phones.

Response Signature