cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call local number on cell using global numbering format?

SIMMN
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Not sure where to post this as appropriate so please move it as needed.

I was playing with my contacts on cell phone and trying to make all contact numbers as global e164 format: "+" "country code" "area code" "number".

However this got me confused: when we call from landline to a local number, pstn would not accept the "+" and area code (in my city at least). But cell phone can dial the e164 global numbering to a local number as if calling an international number? Why?

Btw, why the global numbering is required when sending text message?

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's hard to say why as it could be that the cell phone strips it or because wireless carriers allow it, in any way you can make it work by adding appropriate transformation patterns on CUCM or application dial rules.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks, I know in cucm you have the flexibility to manipulate digits but I was thinking of more traditional pots/fxo connections.

I guess the cell carrier allows the format.

Right, it comes down to individual carrier and technology (i.e. switch on the other side).

Chris

Here is what I found on Wikipedia:

"Mobile telephone service using GSM and other technologies allow the + to be entered and this is internally converted to the correct access code, based on caller location, as the call is placed."

So the cell phone is doing the digit manipulation before sending dialled number out to carrier.