Views
Helpful
Replies

Call manager upgrade

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

We need to upgrade call manager version 6.X running on MCS-HP hardware to version 8.6  on MCS IBM hardware.

Is there any tool available on cisco site so that I can take backup of call manager 6 using DRS and migrate to 8.The same can be loaded on new IBM hardware after the server is built with version 8.

regds,

aman

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, you need to either upgrade on current HW to same version you'll have on new HW and DRS or install old version on new HW, DRS and then upgrade.

This has ALWAYS been the same, DRS backups and restores ARE ON THE EXACT SAME VERSION.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java,

Thanks for info.

One more clarification:

Will I be able to build the new Hardware which is IBM servers with old Call manager version i.e. 6.x and restore the backup taken on old hardware which is HP server ? Later on,after new IBM server are restored with call manager 6 , I would do the upgradation to 8.X

In short,Is backup taken hardware independent or dependent? Pls. advice.

regds,

aman

Probably not as CUCM 6 most likely won't support the newer MCS model. You'll likely have to do it the other way around: Upgrade on the older hardware and then take a DRS backup/restore. The exact hardware/software combinations that are supported are listed here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hi Jonathan,

Agreed , we can work in this way.

But above this I had one query, will the backup taken on Call manager using MCS HP hardware running on version 8 after doing upgradation of old hardware be restored on new MCS IBM hardware [considering that new server has been built on exact same 8 version]?

In short,is call manager backup independent of hardware ?

Please advice.

regds,

aman

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aman,

Just to add a little note to the great info from Java and Jonathan (+5 each!)

The DRS backup/restore process is completly independant of hardware. You

just need to backup from and restore to exact CUCM versions (including SR's)

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

thanks in tons....

5 points to you.

regds,

aman

Hi...

In this link you can check all steps that you need for upgrade. Inside the file, you can check the compatibiliy hardware and software.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/ip_comm_og_ucl_based_1021.pdf

Regards.

Gabriel