cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID on a Call Forward - CUCM 7.1(3)

mjcunningham1
Level 1
Level 1

We are running CUCM 7.1 (3)

we have mixture of phones. 79XX & 69XX

The issue is  when  we  Call forward all calls either from the  phone itself or  CUCM Admin  to a PSTN number the  Caller ID is  presented as restricted.

on the DN   the four bottom boxes are checked

Forwarded Call Information Display on Device SEPXXXXXXXXXXXX

On my PSTN (MGCP) gateways the PRI's are configured  as below, is there somethign on these that I should change to get the originating caller's caller id to come through?

CUCM_Gateway_CFW.bmp

7 Replies 7

nitsinha
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What calling party number do you see in the 'debug isdn q931' setup message? If we are sending out the correct calling party number in the ISDN setup message and even then you do not see it on your phone then the telco is probably playing around with it. The best thing would be to contact them instead.

Who is the original caller- an internal extension or some other external PSTN user?

Regards

Nitesh

PS: Pl rate helpful posts

Unfortunaltey I cannot turn on the  debugging as these are maxed out 3845 gateways that  bog down and have trouble when we trun on debuggin, plus  we have our PSTN conections spread out across  many  different gateways so I'd have to set up a specific route  for the  number to capture what is needed.   Currenlty we see "restricted"  come up on  the caller id.

call flow is:   PSTN call  to  Cisco IP phone that is forwarded to a PSTN  phone.. say a cell phone...   the call forwarding works  but  the caller ID says restricted.

any tips  for the config?

Completely agree with minkdennis. To confirm whether that is the issue try this:-

From another internal IP phone call this IP phone number which is forwarded to the PSTN phone. Check what CLID do you see on the PSTN phone. Do you still see it as restricted? If not, then it is the telco side which is not accepting arbitrary numbers as calling party numbers to eliminate the  possibility of toll-fraud on your network.

HTH

Regards

Nitesh

PS:pl rate helpful posts

I understand what you're saying but  I  dont think that applies, we're not trying to spoof, just trying to get the originating caller ID to the end  point of the call. this seems liek a setting issue   either ISDN or  something in CUCM that I shoudl be able to change to get the  originating caller id to the  final  leg of the call.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generally speaking what you are trying to achive is not possible, because telco doesn't accept arbitrary numbers as calling.

Otherwise,  it would be possible for anybody, to originate calls pretending to be  someone else, for prank or malice, obviously this is not safe.

I  said generally because some telcos in the US, for PRI customers, don't  care about which calling number is used, and send it unchanged.

Hope this helps, please rate post if i does!

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

muranskycotech
Level 1
Level 1

Had been dealing with this issue very recently myself on another thread.

Ultimately I found that my PRI's had to be configured so that the Calling and Called Party IE number type had to be "National" and the Calling and Called Party Numbering Plan had to be set for ISDN. Also, uncheck the "Redirecting Number IE Delivery" checkboxes-- they're largely irrelevant, and most carriers will send back "errors" during the call setup process.

Once I did this, the functionality as you have presented in screenshots, will resolve any caller ID issues for MOST situations. There are still some carriers like AT&T Wireless phones with older SIM cards cannot accept the ID strings (it should work for most AT&T Wireless phones though, and a SIM card reprogram should resolve the rest).

Remember to reset the gateway after making the changes.

Thanks Muransky I thought it would be something like that. I'll give  those things a try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: