Views
Helpful
Replies

Calling name presentation between CUCM clusters

ncraven
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario:

1. I have 2 CUCM clusters - one running 8.0 and the other 10.5. (I don't think the versions are relevant. I included them to preempt the question.)

2. I have created an Intercluster Trunk to interconnect the two clusters.

3. I want calls between the two clusters to reveal the calling name. So far, unless I configure the ASCII Display, I do not see the calling name.

4. If the ASCII Display is configured, calls to the PSTN also show the calling name. Calls to the PSTN use an H.323 gateway.

Requirement:

1. I want the calling name to appear on ALL calls between clusters.

2. I want to control which calls to the PSTN provide calling name. This was managed previously by configuring the ASCII Display only when calling name was required.

Questions:

1. Can I configure the Intercluster Trunk so it will use the line Display instead of the ASCII Display? I consider intercluster traffic to be an extension of the cluster from a users point of view. I suspect because Intercluster Trunks are based on H.323, the answer is no but I'd like to be wrong. I suspect I would have the same result if I use SIP as the intercluster protocol. 

2. If all lines must have an ASCII Display to provide calling name info between clusters, any thoughts on how I can be selective when calling the PSTN would be most welcome. 

7 Replies 7

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Have you tried changing the ICT to a SIP trunk? AFAIK SIP trunks dont use ASCII fields but I might be wrong. 

Please rate useful posts.

That idea had occurred to me, but I don't know why I concluded the calling name in SIP uses the ASCII display as well. Now that you have cast some doubt on my conclusion, I will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestion. I will be sure to post the result.

I tested the SIP trunk idea and, unfortunately, the calling name only appears if the ASCII display is configured. I conclude that both H.323- and SIP-based trunks expect ASCII. So, it's back to the drawing board. 

ncraven
Level 1
Level 1

After some experimentation, I answered my own question. The answer is to enable the "Transmit UTF-8 for Calling Party Name" on the InterCluster Trunk. Now, without configuring the ASCII Alerting Name or ASCII Display, the Alerting Name and Display appear in the Ring out, Ring in, and Connected states. 

This works for SIP trunks and, presumably, gateways (untested), as well.

Thats good info!

Please rate useful posts.

Hi,

I am setting up the same connecting the 2 CUCM cluster via SIP Trunks (one is 10.5 the other is 8.6). Both clusters are just using 4 digit DNs and i am just using translation pattern to make it +E164 numbering format. The calling name and number seems to be inconsistent, here's the scenario:

Phone A (on CUCM 10.5)
Phone B (on CUCM 8.6)

Scenario 1:

Phone A calls Phone B via SIP trunk

Phone A display
        Name: Unknown
        Number: Correct +E164 number

Phone B display
        Name: Correct Phone A Name

Scenario 2:

Phone B calls Phone A via SIP Trunk

Phone A Display
        Name: Correct Phone B Name

Phone B Display
        Name: Correct Phone A Name
        Number: Just showing the 4 digit extension not the +E164 number

Any ideas what might be wrong or needs adjustment? i was thinking that since 10.5 is using directory URIs the display names are not working properly with other version

Thanks For your Conclusion it helps me a lot