Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager 6.x to 8.x Migration BAT Issue

Michael Piskun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Performing some tests for migration between Callmanager 6.x and 8.x, for UDPs in particular, I'm experiencing errors importing UDP CSV files into CUCM 8.6. These UDP CSVs have been exported directly from CUCM 6.1.

Seeing errors such as the following:

USER HOLD AUDIO SOURCE is not a supported field.

I can see the differences in the exported UDP CSV file headings, such as the following, which may point to the problem:

User Hold Audio Source (6.x)

User Hold MOH Audio Source (8.x)

Has anyone had similar problems or success with this type of migration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I think the line from Cisco is (as usual) export/import from different versions of CUCM is 'not supported'.

The reality is that the export process can export all fields that exist for CUCM6 from CUCM6.

The import to CUCM8 could be from a 6.x server, provided that all the mandatory fields are present, and that the column headers match.

As you've found, the headers for a number of fields have been modified between those versions.

I've recently performed a migration in this way, and found that what I needed (these were a 6 and 8 server that were built independenly, so not a simple upgrade where CSS, softkey templates, device pools, etc all have the same name!):

- It was required to map the column headings from the 6.x output to those from an export from 8.x

- We also required that we could map dev pools and other values in the spreadsheet from the existing ones to new ones

- On top of that we had to migrate some phones to a split pair of EM profiles and phones, or vice versa (merge an EM profile and a phone to make one 'static configured' phone).

What we did was write a few small tools which compared our 6.x export to a test export from 8.x. This listed matched/changed headers, and we used that to generate a mapping file that we would then apply to further exports from 6.x

A second tool then remapped values in the export in a column-sensitive fashion, so we could replace x with y only in the Device Pool column, or t with U in all fields for example.

A finally one for EM-ing phones.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's really of what you need to do to make this work, look into what new fields or changed fields the new version has and adjust as necessary.

If you're trying to import the 6.x files directly into 8.x most likely it will fail because of that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi

I think the line from Cisco is (as usual) export/import from different versions of CUCM is 'not supported'.

The reality is that the export process can export all fields that exist for CUCM6 from CUCM6.

The import to CUCM8 could be from a 6.x server, provided that all the mandatory fields are present, and that the column headers match.

As you've found, the headers for a number of fields have been modified between those versions.

I've recently performed a migration in this way, and found that what I needed (these were a 6 and 8 server that were built independenly, so not a simple upgrade where CSS, softkey templates, device pools, etc all have the same name!):

- It was required to map the column headings from the 6.x output to those from an export from 8.x

- We also required that we could map dev pools and other values in the spreadsheet from the existing ones to new ones

- On top of that we had to migrate some phones to a split pair of EM profiles and phones, or vice versa (merge an EM profile and a phone to make one 'static configured' phone).

What we did was write a few small tools which compared our 6.x export to a test export from 8.x. This listed matched/changed headers, and we used that to generate a mapping file that we would then apply to further exports from 6.x

A second tool then remapped values in the export in a column-sensitive fashion, so we could replace x with y only in the Device Pool column, or t with U in all fields for example.

A finally one for EM-ing phones.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Michael Piskun
Level 1
Level 1

Firstly, thanks for the responses so far.

I did notice upon looking into it a little further that CUCM 6.x UDP export includes the UDP profile, as well as all the associated lines. 8.x exports purely the UDP data, with no associated line data.

After changing a couple of values, such as the mentioned User Hold Audio Source, the next field it errors on is the Partition field.

I've got a case running with TAC to see what the final word on this is, however, it appears you're both right. In worst case, maybe Cisco can provide some feedback on how this can be attacked. Surely this is a common step in doing a rebuild-based migration.

I'll provide any valuable feedback I receive once I get a response.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Piskun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

The response received was - as previously suggested - to migrate data fields from the CUCM 6.x template to the CUCM 8.x template. For UDP BAT, for example, the following fields need to be updated.

This would also be a larger issue taking into account all the different BAT export / imports from non-matching versions of CUCM. Following the same method of matching the exported field headers with the template headers for the new version of CUCM is a timely but valuable exersize to achieve this.

6.X

8.X

User Hold Audio     Source

User Hold MOH   Audio   Source

Login User Id

Login User ID

Partition x

Route Partition x

Line User Hold     Audio Source x

Line User Hold MOH     Audio Source x

Line Network Hold     Audio Source x

Line Network Hold     MOH Audio Source x

Visual Message     Indicator Policy x

Visual Message     Waiting Indicator Policy x

Alerting Name   ASCII   x

ASCII Alerting   Name   x

Line Text Label     ASCII x

ASCII Line Text     Label x

Call Recording     Option x

Recording Option x

Also required for removal from the CUCM 6.x UDP BAT export is all Forward All CSS Activation Policy x columns.

It's also worth mentioning - correcting myself rather - that line information IS included in UDP BAT export for CUCM 6.x.

Hope this helps anyone that experiences this issue.

Regards,

Michael

Chris Tottman
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I recently used the BAT to export configuration from a CUCMBE 6.0 to a CUCMBE 8.6 and as with everyone else encountered the issues with header changes on the tab delimited text CSV files.

I used the following steps to complete the migration using BAT, you will need to have the following available to do this

1.) Dual screens (Not a requirement but it makes things a hell of a lot easier

2.) Microsoft Excel 2010 (Or another application that can open tab delimieted files that you know how to use)

Stage 1 - Export the Data off of the CUCM 6.0 box, I am using phones and users in the example as this is easiest

1.) Using the bulk admin tool (bat) export the users and save the file as Users60.txt (tab delimited)

2.) Using the bulk admin tool (bat) export the phones and save the file as Phones60.txt (tab delimited)

Stage 2 - Create a single user manually

1.) Create the user's account

2.) Create the user's coniciding phone

3.) Create the user's coinciding extension

Stage 3 - Export the manually created user

1.) Using the bulk admin tool (bat) on the 8.6 box, export users and save the file as User86.txt (tab delimited)

2.) Using the bulk admin tool (bat) on the 8.6 box, export phones and save the file as Phones86.txt (tab delimted)

Phase 4 - Migrate the date from Users60.txt to Users86.txt

1.) Open Excel to a new blank workgroup

2.) Click on the 'Data' tab

3.) Click 'From Other Sources'

4.) Click 'From XML Data Import'

5.) Change the file type from XML Files to All Files and navigate to where you have saved your CSVs

6.) Open Users60.txt

7.) Ensure that the 'delimited' radio button is selected

8.) Leave the 'Start import at row' set to '1'

9.) Change the File Origin 'MS-DOS' to '65000: Unicode (UTF-7)

10.) Click 'Next'

11.) Under 'Delimiters' check all boxes other than "Space and Other", the preview pane should show you what the document will look like.

12.) Click 'Finish'

13.) Select the top left cell of your blank worksheet and then click Ok to the 'Import Data' box. 

You should now have a delimited copy of the CSV that is divided into each respective category, you can now completed steps 1 - 13 above on the Users86.txt in a separate Excel window.

Once you have both CSV's open in excel, select all of the data (With the exception of the headers) from Users60.txt and paste it into it's respective column in Users86.txt.

This will take some time but once complete, save the Users86.txt file, now populated with the data from Users60.txt and then import Users86.txt back into CUCM 8.6 using BAT

Repeat the process above for any other BAT tasks you have.

There were a few issues with importing the phones, the BAT tool logs on 8.6 were quite helpful with the explanation as to why phone imports failed.

Although time consuming this was the easiest way I found to get data from one server to another given there is no upgrade path from 6.0 to 8.6, I hope this helps some of you with the process.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: