Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not ping CIMC

SimonMondo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have installed an UCS 220 M3 and have added ip address for CIMC and ESXi - both in same subnet. However, I can only be able to ping ESXi but not CIMC, the gateway ip and host name also can not be resolved.

Can anyone assist, please?

Regards,

Simon Jones Mondo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all you have posted in a wrong section, you should possibly post in data center or ip telephony section you will get lot more responses.

How are you connecting/configuring CIMC port. Have you connected cable to dedicated CIMC management port? if yes use below settings and configure your switchport as an access port with VLAN ID as per configured IP (please note VLAN is not enabled on CIMC).

Let me know how you go.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First of all you have posted in a wrong section, you should possibly post in data center or ip telephony section you will get lot more responses.

How are you connecting/configuring CIMC port. Have you connected cable to dedicated CIMC management port? if yes use below settings and configure your switchport as an access port with VLAN ID as per configured IP (please note VLAN is not enabled on CIMC).

Let me know how you go.

-Terry

Hi Terry,

Thank you.

I did the changes as per your advice and now I can successfully ping CIMC. Both CIMC and ESXi are reachable, however, I can not ping the Gateway ip (same subnet) and resolve the Hostname for my UCS box.

Please advice.

Regards,

Simon

Glad to know its working now.

Are you pinging gateway hostname from CIMC? Can you ping the ip address?

For pinging hostname you would need to specify the DNS server in CIMC and the DNS servers should be reachable.

From CIMC GUI>Admin>Network>Set Preffered DNS server

-Terry

Hi Terry,

No, I am not pinging from the CIMC GUI but from the UCS box which houses the ESXi platform. 

I am doing basic ground works to get ESXi and CIMC reachable then will have Cisco to provide access to the CIMC GUI.

Rgds,

Simon

you have posted in a wrong section, you should possibly post in data center or ip telephony section

True. Moved from Feedback Forum to IP Telephony

Hi Dan/Terry,

Thank you for the correction and move taken.

Regards,

Simon

Kunal Narula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Simon,

Is the Ethernet cable connected from UCS management port to switch ? Can you verify if switch port where CIMC cable is connected configured with correct vlan?

Are you able to ping CIMC from connected switch?

What is NIC mode (among Dedicated, shared LOM, Cisco Card and Shared Lom Extension)and NIC redundancy (None, active-active and active-standby) configured?

Kindly verify CIMC configuration from below two links:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/install.html#33298

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c200-m1-high-density-rack-mount-server/111455-setup-cimc-c-series.html#prereq

Thanks!

Kunal

Hi Kunal,

Ethernet cable is connected from CIMC management port to switch port. Switch port configured as access-mode. NIC mode set to 'Dedicated' and NIC set to 'None'.

With you and Terry's help, I was able to get the CIMC up.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Simon