cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't add user to Unity "Extension already in use"

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am unable to add a user to Unity via Exchange  imprt.

Whenever I try I get the below error:

Drawing1.jpg

Doing a search in Unity, this extension does not show up.

Looking in CUCM, I see two extensions with this number. One is the person we are trying to set up, the other is line 2 on a phone that I cannot find.

The line 2 does not have voicemail profile configured.

Dependancy records for the line 2 is showing "1 Directory number (Call Forward All Seettings) (s) are using Directory Number 1420.

When I look at the line, it does not have anty call forwarding configured.      

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have a Call Handler as referenced above - Xfer to 1420?  The configuration in CUCM doesn't necessarily come into play here as Unity is looking at the SQL database and seeing the extension assigned to another object.

Hailey

Thanks David.

I don know about Call Handler, where would I see that?

Update:

I do not see Xfer to 1420 as a call handler      

Uppdate 2:

I do see Call Handler xfer to 1420.

What is the call handler used for?

When you are logged into the Unity SA (web administration page), there is a left column that has various high-level "sections" such as "Subscribers", "Call Management", "Reports", and etc.  The Call Handlers are managed under the Call Management options.  First you would just want to a quick search to see what is configured there.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks David, I do see a call handler "Xfer to 1420", you were dead on.

What does the call handler do?

I am wondering if I can delete it.

Without looking at it, I can't say exactly what it is configured to do.  Generally speaking, Call Handlers are a way of handling calls...think "press 1 for this, press 2 for that" or playing a message to a caller then transferring them another menu or an extension, etc.  There is more to it then that alone but that's a pretty simple breakdown of it.  Just going by the name, it sounds like it might have been the latter.  When you look at the Call Handler, look to see if the extension is directly assigned to it...if so, you could simply remove the extension and save, then try to reimport the user to see if that takes care of the problem.  If so, you still have the Call Handler intact and can try to verify if it is truly no longer needed before deleting it.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks David,

All of the other call handlers were configured for phones that were generic, like work room, board room.

This one must have been the same at some time, but now the extension is used by an individual.

I was able to remove the extension and get the VM box configured. It probably is safe to delete the Call Handler.

Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: