Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Ping C200 VMware Configured IP Address

Dan Rufer
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Forum:

I powered up a Cisco C200 server and have good CIMC IP connectivity (ping responses and web admin access).  However, I loaded VMware ESXi 5.0.0 but can't ping to it.  It's as if the C200 Ethernet Ports don't function.  Switch connectivity, cables, & ports all prove good to other applications.  Using wireshark shows ARP packets out but not VMware response.  The VMware application has an option to ping out but fails with no packets seen by wireshark.  As it happens, ESXi 4.x was on the machine before I decided to upgrade and ESXi 4.x responded good (which tells me the C200 Ethernet Ports were once functional).

Do you have any suggestions on what might keep the VMware application from responding?  The IP address is in the same subnet as the responding C200.

Thank you for your guidance.

Dan

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you confirmed the management interface for ESXi is correctly configured and tried restarting the ESXi management network?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Java:

Thank you for your response.  Yesterday the C200 contained ESXi 4.x and I thought I'd upgrade to ESXi 5.x.  That's when I lost the ability to ping into or ou(t of the VMware application.  It's almost as if the C200 Ethernet Ports are not responding.  I've set the management interface on the ESXi and deleted it and re-configured it.  I've done the restarting of the management network and rebooted the entire box.  All looks good except that there is no connectivity inbound or outbound.  I checked the CIMC network interfaces (eth0 & eth1) but can't find the root cause of not having connectivity.  Sad but true.

Thank you for your feedback.  It's nice to know someone is listening.

Dan

csacontract
Level 1
Level 1

You know what, I have exactly the same problem. A brand new ESX 5.0.0 build on a C200 (VMvisor), it was working fine when I had it at the office building for a customer on our lab switches. But on the customer site, patched into a cat 6500, it has completely stopped responding to ARP requests.

I can use the ESXi Console and ping out to anywhere. But i can't ping to it. On the 6500 switch there are no resolved ARP entries for the IP of the ESXi Host.

Perplexed and a complete show stopper. I have verified all Speed/Duplex settings, the switch has the vlan presented correctly, the port is up/up, it is not stp blocked or err-disabled. All cabling has been swapped. I'm a bit stumped.

Luke

Luke:

The resolution to my issue was contained 100% with the ESX interfaces.  I got assistance in reconfiguring the ESX ports.  Sadly, I am not in the office to pull up ESX to give you more information.  But 100% of the solution (for me) was in the ESX interface related to network connections.

I wish you the best.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: