cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot call over WAN

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Two phones are located at two different location over WAN. Every thing seems normal, such as registered, routing connection between the two locations, and CUCM configuration in route group, route list, route pattern, partition, CSS etc. In a word, everything seems normal except the two phones cannot call each other with 7 or 10 digit calling number over the WAN. My question is what command or debug I need to use first to check what is going on? Anyone can help to give some suggestion? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@eigrpy wrote:

Thank you all for your reply.

Please see below answers and DNA analysis

1. What is the local extension on the phones? 4, 7 or 10 digit..

the extension are 1111 located at siteA and 2222 located at siteB. the two phone can can call each with the extension number. 

but both phone cannot call with local call number like 7 digit or long distance call like 10 digit call number

2. Can you dial them using their local extension? Yes

3. If you can't using local extension, then what errors do you get? If PT/CSS are the same then local dialling should be a breeze..

no any issue with local extension(4 digit). when calling number 3032222, i got DNA report attached.  

I reviewed Analysis output report, and i noticed no translation pattern in there. Is this reason the two phone cannot call each other? when calling each other, i can hear busy call

Yes that’s part of the problem you have. How would CUCM know how to dial the other formats if you don’t have any translation patterns? You need to create the needed translations and put them into a partition that the devices see for them to be able to make calls in any of the other formats that you ask for.

I wrote "part of the problem" intentionally as in the DNA output it shows that you dial the number as 93032222, that's not the same as you wrote in text, where you wrote 3032222. This is two all together different things.

For us to be able to help you please be as specific and correct as you can, otherwise it's us guessing what you want help with and that's not a very effective way to get help.

When you dial as you do your "telling" the system to make an outbound call via a gateway as you have a route pattern that match 9[2-9]XXXXXX and sends it to the route list named RL-Local-Route-Group. To keep the call on-net even for a call that has a called number that is formatted as an external number you'd need to setup translation patterns that keeps the call with-in CUCM. This is popularly known as least cost routing.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Use Dialed Number Analyser (DNA) to see what happens if phone A calls to B. Phone location has not bearings on the ability to call to each other, however it could affect the actual voice sound stream if they don’t have connectivity with each other as the RTP stream is directly between the endpoints.

Response Signature

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You want to start by explaining the call flow.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your post lacks in details, so we are going to play the guessing game.

Are the phones registered to the same cucm cluster? If yes, then RL/RG do not play a role is call routing between them.

You also mentioned 7 or 10 digit, so makes think this is a dial plan related issue and in that train of thought here are follow up questions..

2. Can you dial them using their local extension?

3. If you can't using local extension, then what errors do you get? If PT/CSS are the same then local dialling should be a breeze..

If you are using translation patterns to make 7 or 10 digit dialling possible..then check DNA as @Roger Kallberg suggested

Please rate all useful posts

the extension are 1111 located at siteA and 2222 located at siteB. the two phone can can call each with the extension number. 

but both phone cannot call with local call number like 7 digit or long distance call like 10 digit call number

no any issue with local extension(4 digit). when calling number 3032222, i got DNA report attached.  

I reviewed Analysis output report, and i noticed no translation pattern in there. Is this reason the two phone cannot call each other? when calling each other, i can hear busy call

@eigrpy wrote:

Yes that’s part of the problem you have. How would CUCM know how to dial the other formats if you don’t have any translation patterns? You need to create the needed translations and put them into a partition that the devices see for them to be able to make calls in any of the other formats that you ask for.

I wrote "part of the problem" intentionally as in the DNA output it shows that you dial the number as 93032222, that's not the same as you wrote in text, where you wrote 3032222. This is two all together different things.

For us to be able to help you please be as specific and correct as you can, otherwise it's us guessing what you want help with and that's not a very effective way to get help.

When you dial as you do your "telling" the system to make an outbound call via a gateway as you have a route pattern that match 9[2-9]XXXXXX and sends it to the route list named RL-Local-Route-Group. To keep the call on-net even for a call that has a called number that is formatted as an external number you'd need to setup translation patterns that keeps the call with-in CUCM. This is popularly known as least cost routing.

Response Signature

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: