Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE voice home lab

monasir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can help me building and setup my ccie voice lab.

I borrowed some equipment from a very good friend of my and it seems it fits very good in the ccie voice topology.

I would like to know how i can link everthing together so i can reach all my voice routers and switch at one time whitout replacing my console cable.

So i can configure eveything using by example securecrt/putty

It's the first time for me building a voice lab, my intentions are to prepare for the ccie voice lab exam.

But i got struggled and stuck whit linking everything together (switch & voice routers)

I already have all of my images ( CUCM ,  CUC,  CUP, and UCCX ) i'm using vmware because it's not neccesary to use a very expensive dell or HP server.

This is my equipment:

2 x 2811 voice routers ( whit vic /vwic modules and also fxs and fxo ports )

1 x 2621 voice router whit vic/ vwic modules fxs/fxo ports also

1x 2611 whit vic and wic

3550 poe switch

A couple of cisco ip phones and of course analog phones.

Cabling serial and cross.

But the main thing is that i got stuck whit the network confifurations otherwise i cannot reach my voice routers eithers.

Whit my whole lab i'm tring build a voice lab and simulate psnt/frame relay

Anyone has ideas/advise helping me out??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

Usually, we use a "terminal server" to access all devices with a console port.

In Cisco world, a "terminal server" is a router with multiple async ports (usually 8-port or 16-port).  Those ports connect to the console port of other devices (such as POE switch, voice gateways, etc.)

Then you SSH/Telnet to the terminal server and "reverse telnet" to other devices.  You may use alias to simplify this step.

If you are not familiar with the above, I suggest you get a workbook from the training vendors such as IP Expert, INE, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

Usually, we use a "terminal server" to access all devices with a console port.

In Cisco world, a "terminal server" is a router with multiple async ports (usually 8-port or 16-port).  Those ports connect to the console port of other devices (such as POE switch, voice gateways, etc.)

Then you SSH/Telnet to the terminal server and "reverse telnet" to other devices.  You may use alias to simplify this step.

If you are not familiar with the above, I suggest you get a workbook from the training vendors such as IP Expert, INE, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

I have read a document on the cisco site which tells you how to configure a cisco router as a Terminal server.

A very clear document.

But the problem is that you need a cable whit 2 different sides, one whit serial and on the other side you need 8 RJ 45 connectors.

I don't have that kind of cable.

I was wondering if there is another solutions.

Because i just want to connect whit the other devices.

I have 5 devices.

3550 poe switch

2x 2811 router

1x 2611 router

1x 2621

I also have serial cables and ethernetcables (RJ45)

Is there no possibility to use the serial cables? because i see i has one site DTE and the other side DCE?

I hope you help me out.

What about DHCP pool, or telnet?

There must be another solutions.