cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 5.1 to CUCM 8.6 on VMware (Unity included)

tahindley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm parsing through docs and think I have the correct upgrade path, but I wanted to make sure it works in conjunction with Unity as well. Can someone clarify for me?

I have CCM 5.1.3 Publisher and Subscriber on HP phyiscal servers

-Upgrade both to 7.1.3

-Apply 7.1 licensing

-Then upgrade both to 8.6 (the HP servers are supported in 8.6 in bridged mode only)

-Apply 8.6 licensing

-Then install 8.6 cluster on VM

-Perform DRS backup on physical, restore onto virtual

Here's my questions:

1. Could I take a DRS backup of my 5.1 data, then install 8.6 fresh on VM's, then just restore? Or does DRS not support that big if a version mismatch?

2. I want to upgrade Unity 4.3 to Unity Connection 8.x during this process. Should I do it before CUCM, during CUCM, or after the CUCM upgrade?

Thanks all-

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim,

I just wanted to add a couple of references to the great info from Roger & Java (+5 each )

The tool is now deprecated but still useful;

Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) Upgrade Tool

Usage Guidelines

Pick the version you are uprading from and the version you are upgrading to.

Current Version

5.1.3.yyyy-z

Destination Version

7.1.3.30000-1

Note: If a version is not listed in the Destination Version  drop-down list, an upgrade to that version is not supported from the  current version you have chosen. You will need to reference the       Cisco Unified Communications Manager Software Compatibility Matrix to determine a multi-step upgrade path that will allow you to obtain your desired destination version.

Release Information

• CUCM 7.1(3b) was originally released on December 15, 2009.

• The full version number is 7.1.3.30000-1.

Download Information

• If the files required for this upgrade are not available for  download on cisco.com you may open a TAC service request and ask that  they be posted for you.

• Otherwise the files will be provided on the media you receive as part of the upgrade kit required for this upgrade.

Special Notes for 5.1(3) to 7.x Upgrades via SFTP

If your current version is 5.1.3.4111-1 or lower:

• You must install a special patch to allow the upgrade file to be detected on the SFTP server.

• You must raise a TAC service request and ask for the ciscocm.5x_ftp_fix.cop.sgn file to be posted for you.

If your current version is 5.1(3e) or 5.1.3.6xxx-y:

• You must download and install the ciscocm.5.13e_upgrade.cop.sgn file from the CUCM Software Center prior to attempting the upgrade.

Maintaining your inactive partition

• You can upgrade to this version directly from your current version and maintain your current version in the inactive partition.

• CUCM 5.x installs create disk partitions using a fixed size,  regardless of actual disk size.  In CUCM 6 we began using percentages of  disk size for partition sizing.

• Upgrading from CUCM 5 to CUCM 6 or 7 will not resize your  partitions.  This can cause upgrade failures and RTMT alerts  post-upgrade due to low available space on the active partition,  particularly on systems with multiple CUCM locales installed.

• Cisco recommends after any 5.x to 6 or 7 upgrade you take a  backup, reinstall the server from scratch at the new version to take  advantage of the new partition sizes, and then restore from backup.

When you see the info for the Bridge Upgrade, you may see that a separate MCS server

built with a copy of 7.1(3) may be necessary to be able to keep things running in production;

Bridge Upgrade

The  bridge upgrade provides a migration path for customers who want to  migrate from discontinued Cisco Unified Communications Manager server to  a server that supports the newest release of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager.

Servers  that are no longer supported, but are permitted to function as bridge  upgrade servers, can upgrade and boot but will not allow Cisco Unified  Communications Manager to function.

When  you attempt to upgrade your Cisco Unified Communications Manager  version on a discontinued server model, Cisco Unified Communications  Manager inserts a message into the upgrade log. The upgrade log is  displayed on the web browser when the upgrade is initiated through the  Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration window, or  you can view it through CLI if you used CLI to perform the upgrade. This  message notes that you can only use the new version to obtain a DRS  backup. The warning message in the log is followed by a delay that  allows you to cancel the upgrade if you do not want to do a bridge  upgrade.

When  the system boots the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, a  warning appears on the console that tells you that the only thing you  can do with the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version is to  perform a DRS backup ("This hardware has limited functionality. Backup  and Restore is the only supported functionality."). Because of the  restricted visibility of the console, the warning displays during both  CLI and GUI sessions.

Use the following procedure to perform a bridge upgrade:

Procedure

Step 1 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your discontinued first node (publisher) server. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do. Observe the warning on the console that tells you that the only  thing you can do with the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager  version is to perform a DRS backup ("This hardware has limited  functionality. Backup and Restore is the only supported  functionality.").

Step 2 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your subsequent node (subscriber) servers. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do.

Step 3 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtimestate and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

Step 4 Using  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your  discontinued first node server, perform a DRS backup. The DRS backups  are encrypted using the cluster security password provided at install  time. You must remember this security password as the "old" password,  because you may be prompted to enter this "old" password at the time of  restore. Refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 5 Disconnect your discontinued server from the network.

Step 6 Install  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new  supported first node server. You must obtain and install a new license  on this server. Refer to the guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You will be prompted to enter a "new" security password, a password that is different from the "old" password you noted in Step 4. The guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager describes the requirements of a "new" security password that Cisco  Unified Communications Manager will accept. You must remember this "new"  security password.

Step 7 Using the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new supported first node server, perform the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide procedure "Restoring the First Node only (Rebuilding the Publisher  Alone)". First, select only select the first node for restore. You can  only select the subsequent nodes for restore after the completion of  first node restore. Use the discontinued server's backup file that you  created in Step 4. You will be prompted for the "old" security password that you noted in Step 4. For further details, refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 8 On  your new supported first node server, reactivate all services that used  to be active on your discontinued first node server before the bridge  upgrade. Refer to the Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Serviceability.

Step 9 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtimestate and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_0_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1058411

As for the Unity to Unity connection migration, you'll definitely want to treat this as a completely

different project. I would probably do this after the CUCM migration

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

DRS only support same version backup/restore.

About Unity, that's more or less a matter of personal preference. If you plan to keep the same IPs on the new CUCM 8.6 VM system I think I would do it after the upgrade of CUCM.

Please remember to rate all useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

The official supported path is you go to at least 8.0(2) (if your HW supports a higher version, you can go as high as you can) on MCS and then, do the DRS backup to restore on UC on UCS fresh CUCM install.

As for Unity to CUC, you use COBRAS

Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/upgrade/guide/8xcucrugx.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim,

I just wanted to add a couple of references to the great info from Roger & Java (+5 each )

The tool is now deprecated but still useful;

Unified Communications Manager (CallManager) Upgrade Tool

Usage Guidelines

Pick the version you are uprading from and the version you are upgrading to.

Current Version

5.1.3.yyyy-z

Destination Version

7.1.3.30000-1

Note: If a version is not listed in the Destination Version  drop-down list, an upgrade to that version is not supported from the  current version you have chosen. You will need to reference the       Cisco Unified Communications Manager Software Compatibility Matrix to determine a multi-step upgrade path that will allow you to obtain your desired destination version.

Release Information

• CUCM 7.1(3b) was originally released on December 15, 2009.

• The full version number is 7.1.3.30000-1.

Download Information

• If the files required for this upgrade are not available for  download on cisco.com you may open a TAC service request and ask that  they be posted for you.

• Otherwise the files will be provided on the media you receive as part of the upgrade kit required for this upgrade.

Special Notes for 5.1(3) to 7.x Upgrades via SFTP

If your current version is 5.1.3.4111-1 or lower:

• You must install a special patch to allow the upgrade file to be detected on the SFTP server.

• You must raise a TAC service request and ask for the ciscocm.5x_ftp_fix.cop.sgn file to be posted for you.

If your current version is 5.1(3e) or 5.1.3.6xxx-y:

• You must download and install the ciscocm.5.13e_upgrade.cop.sgn file from the CUCM Software Center prior to attempting the upgrade.

Maintaining your inactive partition

• You can upgrade to this version directly from your current version and maintain your current version in the inactive partition.

• CUCM 5.x installs create disk partitions using a fixed size,  regardless of actual disk size.  In CUCM 6 we began using percentages of  disk size for partition sizing.

• Upgrading from CUCM 5 to CUCM 6 or 7 will not resize your  partitions.  This can cause upgrade failures and RTMT alerts  post-upgrade due to low available space on the active partition,  particularly on systems with multiple CUCM locales installed.

• Cisco recommends after any 5.x to 6 or 7 upgrade you take a  backup, reinstall the server from scratch at the new version to take  advantage of the new partition sizes, and then restore from backup.

When you see the info for the Bridge Upgrade, you may see that a separate MCS server

built with a copy of 7.1(3) may be necessary to be able to keep things running in production;

Bridge Upgrade

The  bridge upgrade provides a migration path for customers who want to  migrate from discontinued Cisco Unified Communications Manager server to  a server that supports the newest release of Cisco Unified  Communications Manager.

Servers  that are no longer supported, but are permitted to function as bridge  upgrade servers, can upgrade and boot but will not allow Cisco Unified  Communications Manager to function.

When  you attempt to upgrade your Cisco Unified Communications Manager  version on a discontinued server model, Cisco Unified Communications  Manager inserts a message into the upgrade log. The upgrade log is  displayed on the web browser when the upgrade is initiated through the  Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration window, or  you can view it through CLI if you used CLI to perform the upgrade. This  message notes that you can only use the new version to obtain a DRS  backup. The warning message in the log is followed by a delay that  allows you to cancel the upgrade if you do not want to do a bridge  upgrade.

When  the system boots the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version, a  warning appears on the console that tells you that the only thing you  can do with the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version is to  perform a DRS backup ("This hardware has limited functionality. Backup  and Restore is the only supported functionality."). Because of the  restricted visibility of the console, the warning displays during both  CLI and GUI sessions.

Use the following procedure to perform a bridge upgrade:

Procedure

Step 1 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your discontinued first node (publisher) server. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do. Observe the warning on the console that tells you that the only  thing you can do with the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager  version is to perform a DRS backup ("This hardware has limited  functionality. Backup and Restore is the only supported  functionality.").

Step 2 Perform  an upgrade to the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on  your subsequent node (subscriber) servers. Refer to the preceding  sections in this chapter that describe the kind of upgrade you want to  do.

Step 3 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtimestate and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

Step 4 Using  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your  discontinued first node server, perform a DRS backup. The DRS backups  are encrypted using the cluster security password provided at install  time. You must remember this security password as the "old" password,  because you may be prompted to enter this "old" password at the time of  restore. Refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 5 Disconnect your discontinued server from the network.

Step 6 Install  the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new  supported first node server. You must obtain and install a new license  on this server. Refer to the guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You will be prompted to enter a "new" security password, a password that is different from the "old" password you noted in Step 4. The guide Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager describes the requirements of a "new" security password that Cisco  Unified Communications Manager will accept. You must remember this "new"  security password.

Step 7 Using the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager version on your new supported first node server, perform the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide procedure "Restoring the First Node only (Rebuilding the Publisher  Alone)". First, select only select the first node for restore. You can  only select the subsequent nodes for restore after the completion of  first node restore. Use the discontinued server's backup file that you  created in Step 4. You will be prompted for the "old" security password that you noted in Step 4. For further details, refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 8 On  your new supported first node server, reactivate all services that used  to be active on your discontinued first node server before the bridge  upgrade. Refer to the Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Serviceability.

Step 9 Verify  database synchronization between all nodes. You can use the CLI  commands utils dbreplication runtimestate and utils dbreplication  status. For more information, refer to the Command Line Interface Reference Guide for Cisco Unifed Communications Solutions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_0_2/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1058411

As for the Unity to Unity connection migration, you'll definitely want to treat this as a completely

different project. I would probably do this after the CUCM migration

Cheers!

Rob

Great post Rob (+5) :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Thanks Rob, wish I could award +15! Thanks for clearing up Unity, I was under the impression that 8.x CUCM wasn't compatible with Unity 4.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim,

You should have given me a -15 as I really need to reverse

my stance on the Unity portion of the migration. It looks like

you may need to do it first rather than last The minimum

Unity version that is supported all the way through to CUCM 8.6

would be Unity 5.0;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/compatibility/matrix/cutspmtx.html

I would do the migration to Unity Connection as a FIRST step. Sorry for the bad

info my friend!

Supported Version Combinations for Cisco Unity Connection and Cisco Unified Communications Manager

#

Cisco Unity Connection 2.x and Later

#

Any version of Cisco Unity Connection 2.x or later is supported for use with any version of Cisco Unified CM 4.1(3) or later.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/compatibility/matrix/cucsccpmtx.html

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I actually ran across that guide right about the time you mentioned it, so no harm done!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: