Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 8.6 SU3 and SU2 from CCM 8.5

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Dear Experts,

I am doing an upgrade from CCM version 8.5 to version 8.6 SU3.  I install the refresh upgrade and then upload 8.6 SU3. when it restarts to complete the upgrade.

The server stucks in firmware upgrade for the server. it always shows a message " hardware upgrade completed, then reboot".

he exact version of CCM is 8.5.1.10000-26. also i check the POST logs it shows me warning " W.3808003  error retrieving system configuration from IMM". the server is 7916-I5

I use recovery DVD to resotre 8.5 version. I am stuck and I don't know how to proceed with this upgrade.

please advise

Thanks in advance

Anas

12 Replies 12

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Anas,

The CUCM version which u are using is 8.5(1) which is 8.5.1.10000-26 and the version which u are upgrading is 8.6(2a)SU3.[ 8.6.2.23900-10].

Please correct me what I have understood.

I was checking the software compatibility guide and for upgrading , u need 8.5(1)SU1 [8.5.1.11900-21]

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

thanks for your reply. Kindly check the below link. it is supported to upgrade from 8.5(1), there is a direct upgrade

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

Regards

Anas

Hi Anas,

Are u doing upgrade for restricted? since it is applicable for restricted one and not for unrestricted.

regds,

aman

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Anas

You haven't mentioned your server type, but I seem to remember getting this kind of problem on an MCS 7835.The server hung early on in the upgrade.

The solution for me was simply to power the server off and on again when it appeared to be hung. The upgrade then proceeded.

Hope this helps.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Hi Barry,

I think it is MCS 7816-I5. He has mentioned 7916-I5 but seems to be typo error.

regds,

aman

Ah yes,  good point. My same comment applies though, I had a similar problem which required power off / on to continue. I think it may have been because I had to have an external USB disk attached to the server as it was an upgrade that changed from hardware RAID to software RAID.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Dear All,

I am doing the upgrade for restricted version. my server is MCS7816-I5. it seems I made a mistake in typing.

Also I try to shut down the server and power it off without success.

Any idea guys ?

Anas

Hi Anas,

I was trying to look into Bug ToolKit but could not find any relevant bug related to your problem.

There are few bugs related to 7816-I5 and IMM but not helpful.

regds,

aman

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Dear All,

I open a tac case, they recommed me to run FWUCD version 3.6 and 3.7 to update the BIOS for the server.

you can find the both CDs in the below links

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282152197&catid=278875240&softwareid=283046743&release=3.6%286%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283471458&flowid=21025&softwareid=283046743&release=3.7(1)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Unfortunately the both CDs didn't work. The Tac order a replacement for the system board to solve the issu.

When replacing the server you need to take care of the following:

- the license MAC will be changed because you are changing the network cards.

- after replacing the system board, it will show you a message "detection error on legacy mode". If you run show hardware it shows an UNKNOWN hardware.

to solve this issue you need to add the below info to IMM

Serial# (all caps): XXXXXXX

Model (all caps): YYYYY

Asset Tag (as written): CiscoSystemsServer

HTH

Anas

Hi there,
Imho, you should try to do this upgrade on vmware.

Create DRS of the server,
Install the same version you are running on the vm
Restore your server.
And upgrade it from there to the desired version
You will need to involve licensing in order to rehost your licenses.

Again this is just my opinion. I hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Anas,

Thanks for updating us.

regds,

aman

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Dear All,

kindly rate my update to share the correct knowledge in our community

regards

Anas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: