cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM lab 6 to 8 upgrade issue

aguy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning on upgrading my production 6.1.5 call manager server to 8.6.2(a) so ive setup a lab.  My lab consists of a 6.1.5 demo running on an ESXi 4.1.0 box thats populated with some dummy data.  I installed it from the OVA template provided by cisco and selected the 7XXX series with 6gig ram, 2x cpus and 2x 80 gig drives (thin provisioning).

Ive tried several times to upgrade using the Software Upgrade in OS administration with the non bootable image.  Ive been following the instructions in the upgrade guide in the 8.6.2(a) release notes but everytime I fail the hardware check with this same message in the logs:

Unable to validate VMware based server disk settings. Please check SCSI disks are at least 72 GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings

Ive checked the SCSI setting for the vm.   I also have no problem installing 8 if I use a bootable DVD/ISO.  Anyone have some insight into this problem?  Ive checked the CCM vmware wiki and looked around a few forums but nothing has worked.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

try going through 7.1 version.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Vipul Jindal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

call manager 6.1.5 is not supported on vmware and thats the reason you are getting this error.

you should upgrade 6.1.5 on MCS server and than take backup and insatall UCS.

thanks,

Vipul Jindal

I see.  So the hardware check during the upgrade with the 8.6 media would do that.  Doesnt make much sence since I can use the bootable 8.6 media version to install over the partition and it would work fine. 

Also I dont have access to spare MCS hardware, thats why I need to test so I dont get screwed during the production upgrade.  Im a bit uncertain about the upgrade process too.  The 8.6 documentation mentions that my MCS7825H3 needs a USB drive (16 gig) for the backup data.  Anyone can confirm this is how its done?

Thanks for the info.  

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

try going through 7.1 version.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ok I was afraid of a 2 step upgrade.  Is it just because its running in a esxi vm or will this affect my production  MCS7825H3 too?  6.1.5  to 7.1x to 8.6.2(a) sounds rough.  Plus in the compatability matrix it says that direct upgrade from 6.1.5 x to 8.6.2(a) is possible.  This is much more complicated than it needs to be.

I understand the path is possible, but since you are upgrading on un-supported hardware this is worth trying, in fact I've been successful this way on several occasions when staging upgrades in VMWare.  There is nothing rough about going from 6 to 7, as that process is no different than going from 6 to 8.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Im downloading 7.1.x now an will try that out.  It will be rough  since the eta for these upgrades in the documentation is about 4 hours  (most likely less) and im having someone else doing the upgrade on our MCS.   Doubling the time isnt cool.

I have one more question though.  It says in the docs  to have a 16Gig USB drive on hand.  Thats how the CCM data is  transferred to the new install correct?  Ill be doing a DRS backup  before the upgrade too.

I believe the USB drive is only needed on 7825 server, is that what you have?

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Yes a MCS7825H3.

The you will need the USB drive as described in the Release Notes for CUCM 8.6.

HTH, please rate all helpful posts!

Chris

I did a 6.15 to 7.1.5 which went well.  Then did a 7.1.5 to 8.6.2 that failed first time.  I reinstalled the upgrade patch (cisco refresh upgrade 1.1.cop.sgn.) and it worked retaining all my dummy data.  

Ill double check my licensing with cisco support just in case.  Thanks for the help.

Andre

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: