cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ccm-manager config

dfasnacht
Level 1
Level 1

There is a bug and the workaround to take ccm-manager config off the Gateway. We currently have a small deployment at three locations but it will more than double this year.

What are the reprocussions of taking this off the Gateway and does anyone have this currently configured without any issues.

5 Replies 5

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

I suppose that your GW is MGCP, the following commands are completly necessary to register the GW with CallManager:

ccm-manager mgcp

ccm-manager config

ccm-manager config server

mgcp call agent service-type mgcp

The ccm-manager config and ccm-manager config server commands aren't mandatory for MGCP to operate. Having said that, any changes that you make to the configuration via the CCM web interface will no longer be applied to the gateway.

I generally do not like to have the ccm-manager config statements in my routers but I also have to live with the fact that if I need to make a change to my router...like echo-cancellation coverage, etc. I need to make the changes in IOS.

I have heard a lot of a lot of different discussions as to whether or not it was *good form* or not to remove these commands but it is definately not mandatory.

Can someone elaborate on this statement:

"I generally do not like to have the ccm-manager config statements in my routers but I also have to live with the fact that if I need to make a change to my router...like echo-cancellation coverage, etc. I need to make the changes in IOS."

I would like to hear what the pro's and con's of removing/keeping the ccm-config statements...

Thanks

The reason I typically do not put the config server commands in the router is a rather defensive posture. I have been bitten in the past - on several occasions - by unknowing end users who accidently reprovision their GW routers because of this. It is rather easy, given all of the drop downs in the GW configuration page to change things without knowing it. Removing the config server options forces the changes to be made consciously in IOS. I also run into the case where for one reason or another a particular voice slot has been reprovisioned by the customer from MGCP to H323 in IOS and the corresponding configuration changes have not been made in the CCM gui. All is great until the router is recycled and all of their IOS configuration for H323 is magically wiped away. Makes for some interesting trouble calls at 2:00AM. In any case I can definately see that one could argue that "management issues shouldn't be handled with a technical solution" but this has saved me lots of trouble over the years. As I said before, it may not be good form but I am unaware of a technical reason this cannot/should not be done.

Given that, if there IS a technical reason for making it part of mandatory configuration I welcome the feedback. The object is to provide the best customer service I can to my customers...

KK

Thanks for the reply. I figured that the core reason was to keep the end users from making config changes on those devices. I could see where this could save some heartache for the support personnel if implemented in this fashion.

Thanks