Views
Helpful
Replies

Change greetings in Unity Connection

ouhakheme
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys --

Is it possible to change the greeting via the Caller Input in Unity Connection?  For instance, a user calls in and the greeting is in English, but you can press 1 to hear the greeting in French instead?

I checked caller input, but didn't see any intuitive ways to play an alternate greeting.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Ohamien

8 Replies 8

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, very easy to do.  You basically need to set up your greeting options and then replicate the menus in both languages.  Here is an example of how one might accomodate a dual-language tree.

Opening Greeting

1.  For English press 1

2.  For French press 2

1 ---> Transfer to greeting for call handler Main Menu-En (En = English)

2 ---> Transfer to greeting for call handler Main Menu-Fr (Fr = French)

From there you just replicate your trees (but you must record the greetings yourself in both languages).  The Opening Greeting controls how many language options you may need.  The actual trees for each language start at Main Menu and can be built however you need from there.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks David, this helps for Call Handlers, but not mailboxes.  I don't want to have to create an opening Call Handler as a front end to two different mailboxes, that's not practical.

Any other thoughts?

Ohamien

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

With CUC you can have greetings recorded in multiple languages. Please refer to this link, it explains how to change
the language:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag150.html

HTH!

Regards,

Tere.

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

Hey, the link you provided doesn't help.  It just discusses the media master and CUGA, it tells me nothing about changing the greeting from within the mailbox or Call Handler.

Am I missing something?

Ohamien

You assign an extension to a Call Handler just like a mailbox. Then you dial into CUGA and authenticate as a Greetings Admin. You enter the CH extension and change greeting via TUI just like a mailbox.  There is a section in the link about accessing CH via CUGA. This is a pretty standard setup.

For a mailbox, you dial into the extension an enter the voicemail password and then follow instructions. In your scenario you will need at least 2 mailboxes for each language which uses licenses.

I don't think you understand.  I have 100 users that need to be able to record both a French Greeting and English greeting on their mailbox.  I'm not creating 100 call handlers for these users just for this feature.

Thanks.

Tere already addressed your question:

"With CUC you can have greetings recorded in multiple languages."

Recording

If more than one language is installed on Cisco Unity Connection, greetings can be recorded in multiple languages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/gui_reference/guide/8xcucgrg010.html#wp1064962

You do need to follow the advise from Hailey in order for them to reach the language you want, the explanation of how this will work is here:

Language of System Prompts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag130.html#wp1055643

You need to hardcode the language at some point and then use inherited for this to work.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

First of all, I understand.  I have a lot of experience and am very active in the forums.  Lastly, you've already had someone tell you that you can set the prompts in CUC and leverage those.  I've not used that feature so you'll want to test it out.  The most common way to do multi-language prompts (likely a carryover from established habits) is to use the caller input options either on a call handler or a mailbox.  Really, a mailbox is not much different than a cal handler with the exception of the mailbox requires a licensing.  Now...moving on:

There is a concept that I don't think you're getting.  When you use Caller Input options and let's say you choose to say for English, press 1.  You can record the whole greeting in another language and you can give 1 as the option for English.  However, when you configure that option 1 for users to press then you have to tell CUC where to send the call - it has to do something and/or go to something (i.e., a target).  Sending it back to the same mailbox and an alternate greeting recorded in English is not an option as that's not how alternate greetings work.  First you must specify an ACTION:

Indicates the action that Cisco Unity Connection takes when a caller  presses this key. If the key is configured for a call action such as  "Ignore" or "Take Message," the action is displayed; if the key is  configured to send calls to a call handler, interview handler, directory  handler, conversation, or user, "Send Caller To" is displayed, and the  Target field shows the object that receives the call.

Depending on the action, you may specify a TARGET:

Indicates the object that receives the call if the key is configured to  send calls to a call handler, interview handler, directory handler,  conversation, or user. Otherwise, this field is blank.

Hailey