Views
Helpful
Replies

Change NIC Mode to AUTO in VmWare hosted CUCM

Alok Mohanty
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

We have installed CUCM in VmWare environment.

To match the switch speed with that of hypervisor and CUCM , we changed mode and speed in hypervisor.

However while attempting to do that in CUCM we issued the following command

-> set network nic eth0 auto en

And received the following error 

"This is a virtual machine which doesnt support this command.

So wanted to check for all the enterprises running their CUCM in VmWare environment whats the network speed and mode set at.

Is there no way we can set this to AUTO.

Thanks

Alok

5 Replies 5

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Alok,

You can check the mode and speed using the below command:

show network eth0

HTH,

Shenbagarajan

Thanks Shenbagarajan

Please find the network status for current setting. We are trying to set this from AUTO disabled to AUTO enabled.

admin:show network eth0
Ethernet 0
DHCP         : disabled           Status     : up
IP Address   : 10.207.10.118      IP Mask    : 255.255.255.000
Link Detected: yes                Mode       : Auto disabled, Full, 10000 Mbits/s
Duplicate IP : no

DNS
Primary      : 10.207.0.20        Secondary  : 10.207.0.21
Options      : timeout:5 attempts:2
Domain       : cct.XXXXX.com
Gateway      : 10.207.10.1 on Ethernet 0

Thanks

Alok

Hi Alok,

This needs to be done on the VM side. The below KB could be of help:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004089

But please note that changing the Nic mode could result in service disruption.

HTH,

Shenbagarajan

Alok,

Did you find a resolution for this? I was having intermittent connectivity issues on a new install and noticed that eth0 was set for auto disabled, full 10000 just like yours. In the vSphere client the NICs are set to auto-negotiate and are running 100/full. CUCM CLI will not accept the 'set network nic eth0 auto en' command.

I've done several deployments but have not seen this issue before. However this is the first BE6K-S deployment we've done and it had a partial config pre-loaded prior to shipping from the distributor.

-Jason

Just to follow up on this, this is apparently the default behaviour with a virtualized deployment. I've installed many of these, but never had occasion to check so never noticed. I went back and checked a couple of other 10.x deployments and they show the same NIC settings.