cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing order of call waiting calls on CUCM

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Got an interesting query from one of my clients. Before I go back and tell them "no", I just thought I'd ask here first

Situation as follows

CUCM 6.x (although we can upgrade if needs be).

Customer has a receptionist with a 7965.

7965 has got call waiting enabled (busy trigger of 10 calls).

By default any calls waiting to be answered are presented in FIFO order to the phone.

Customer has asked the question if we can "prioritise" the order that waiting calls are presented on the phone (note we do not want to break into an existing call). Basically they would like to know if we can present certain calls at the top of the list of calls shown as waiting.

Example:

receptionist is on a call (call 1)

another call comes (call 2) in and is presented on the phone as waiting

another call comes in (call 3 )  - which may be an external call delivered via H.323 gw - which should have higher priority than call 2 based around the calling number.

customer wants call 3 to automatically appear above call 2 on the phone (and move call 2 below call 3)

As I say, I'm tempted to say no, but just wondered if there was any way of doing this (MLPP perhaps?).

I'm off for a lie down now...

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I concur with Rob here (+5 for good answer on MLPP).  I cannot think of a possible solution to this except for implementing contact center and making the receptionist an agent and prioritizing queued calls, the obvious issue that that is that only one call at a time is going to be delivered to her, which may not be what you are looking for.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Barry,

I don't think MLPP will offer what you are looking for here

A couple of notes;

Preemption

The preemption process terminates lower precedence calls

MGCP and PRI Protocol

MLPP supports Common Network Facility Preemption only for T1-CAS and  T1-PRI (North American) interfaces on targeted Voice over IP gateways  that Cisco Unified Communications Manager controls by using MGCP  protocol and that have been configured as MLPP Preemption Enabled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmfeat/fsmlpp.html

So, I would leverage the 7965

This method was used in older 3.x builds before the Multiple Calls per Line was added in 4.x

We still use this for some users who prefer the visual aspect of this setup;

This  document shows how to use Partitions and Calling Search Spaces to  configure multiple lines on one phone with the same DN. It is assumed  that the user wants all incoming calls to start on line 1 and forward to  subsequent lines if line 1 is busy.

Configuring a Single Dialed Number on Multiple Lines

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008009409c.shtml

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

I concur with Rob here (+5 for good answer on MLPP).  I cannot think of a possible solution to this except for implementing contact center and making the receptionist an agent and prioritizing queued calls, the obvious issue that that is that only one call at a time is going to be delivered to her, which may not be what you are looking for.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris, Rob

I think "no" is going to be my response on this one :-)

Have good weekends.

Barry Hesk

Intrinsic Network Solutions

What about using a 8900/9900 phone and configuring separate DNs for each call priority? In that scenario the user would see the line key light up next to the appropriate DN and could filter the calls shown on the screen by choosing that DN (instead of the All Calls filter). Disclaimer: I haven't tried this to verify, it's just the idea that came to mind.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: