cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing TFTP address on a Cisco phone remotely

happykiran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, can we change the TFTP server address on a cisco 79xx phone remotely?

I know we can use the SEP<mac>.cnf file to configure, but can we also change the TFTP address using this file. The problem we have is we are changing the IP of our SBC and it requires the TFTP server to be configured on all the customers' phone. Instead we are planning to host a new SBC on the new IP address and push the configuration with new TFTP address to all phones, so when the phone reboots, it gets the configuration using the new SBC (which will forward the requests to the call manager). Please note we are not using Cisco Call Manager.

3 Replies 3

Hello Happykiran.

Maybe a solution to your problem is to push the new tftp server address through DHCP option 66.

That way all you need is to configure that once on your DHCP server and not by hand on each phone.

Hope I understood your problem and this helps.

rGrds

G.K.

George, thanks for that. But we don't have control over the DHCP servers of our customers. This appears to be a beautiful solution that we have never tried before. I will give it a try. But at the moment, as we don't have control over our customers' DHCP servers, can we push it using the SEP config file? I was wondering if we can add a XML tag in that file.

I know of 3rd party tools but you need CUCM, not sure if someone has ever created one for non CUCM phones.

Phone Remote.

http://www.voipintegration.com/software.html

And no, you cannot configure the SEP file with TFTP, SEP file is exclusively phone config. The TFTP needs to be configured:

a) manually

b) DHCP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: